Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

river bottom bowhunting

dblmainbeam

I hunt an awesome chunk of riverbottom with alot of nice deer in the area. My problem is that the guy who owns the land on the otherside of the river thinks all the deer with in five miles are his. He is always trying to mess up my hunts and he has succeeded a few times, which really ticks me off. I ignore him and keep hunting. I hunt at least 50 yards from the river bank, there are hundreds of deer. Im not a poacher, I don't bait, I don't shoot young bucks, I believe in letting them grow. Hes back at it again already this year. I did shoot a nice buck last year he scored 125 my biggest bow kill. I think theres plenty of deer in iowa, and Im not on a fence line. What would you do? I JUST WANT TO HUNT

Is this "gentlemen" doing anything on your side of the fence??? If not, I do not think you can do much except get a big fella in spite of this clown. If he is trespassing, I would push it further.

I know Iowa has a hunter harassment law...I don't know how it works but I would find out if I were you...

Good luck...

Sounds familiar. I have the same problem with an old guy who owns most of the land around where I hunt along a river. He even went as far as telling the landowner who's land I hunt that he caught me in his treestand last year. The landowner asked when and he knew it was a lie as I am a teacher and work everyday from 8-3:30. I don't know what to do about guys like this, just ignore him and get a big guy to spite him.

Sorry to hear about your troubles....

I do have a couple of questions re-lated to your river bottom bow hunting though.

I picked up a bunch of land this fall to bow hunt and much of it has big river bottoms running through it.

Never hunting big river bottom areas before does anybody want to share there expereinces and setups for this type of area.

I have a couple of sets that cover funnel points coming to and from the rivers in regards to some main timbers and feeding areas...but would you set at the timber side or the river side of the funnel. How does the wind normaly act in comparison to a river stand (swirl,follow river contour,) etc. Any other river bottom hunting advice would be welcome.....

I hate to make any mistakes that I could learn the easy way...

I have never caught him trespassing but id love to. If he spent half as much time hunting as he does trying to mess up hunting for other people hed probably have a house full of deerheads. There is a big hog around here and the more he messes with me the better it would feel to get that big boy. I will get him someday he can't scare him away everyday.
flaming.gif

Top Bottom