Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Riverbottom Question

Iowabowtech

The vast majority of ground I'm associated with is bordering or very close to the river and is bottom ground. I'm wondering if any of you can think of options for me to add bedding cover to the area. I have squat for access to heavy equipment so that should be taken into account. There is a VERY healthy deer population in the area but I think a lot of the herd tends to migrate to neighboring properties during the winter months which are at a slightly higher elevation and contain some pine stands. We have a ton of deciduous trees of varying maturity, but almost zero conifers and not much in the way of heavy cover for the extreme cold. I'd just like to make the property attractive year round.

Plant Red Cedar for thermal cover.

Hinge a bunch of trees for extra bedding cover.

And yes, go with the switchgrass as Travis mentioned.

Are they leaving for a more preferred food source???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Plant Red Cedar for thermal cover.

Hinge a bunch of trees for extra bedding cover.

And yes, go with the switchgrass as Travis mentioned.

Are they leaving for a more preferred food source???

</div></div>

Just a couple additional thoughts...

I just haven't found anything better then red cedar for cover but I have had trouble establishing new seedlings on low wet ground. Perhaps this ground isn't really all that wet?

Switchgrass loves low moist ground as long as it doesn't frequently flood for extended periods.

I love to hunt flat open river bottom areas that seem to attract buck/doe combos like a magnet during the rut...so I wouldn't "trash" all of it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Some pics and more info might be helpful.

I hunt an area that sounds very similar. The acorn crop really seems to determine what you see late season. The neighbors property is VERY thick so it seems they hole up over there. Late season seems to be pretty rough in the river bottoms.

Ok fellas, thanks for all the thoughts so far. To answer some of the questions that have been raised:

The ground borders the Raccoon River so it definitely floods, usually at least once a year if not more. The ground right now though isn't wet at all. I just made several mineral licks and it was loose, black dirt in every location. I don't think they're leaving for a better food source this time of year but more for the heavier cover. My first thought was cedars but I wasn't sure about how flooding would affect them. Where does one buy a large batch of cedars for a good price? I've also thought about the switchgrass option. In fact I just read a good share of Dbltree's "Switchgrass" thread but my worry is that I can't burn in this location, I have no tilling or spraying equipment outside of the obvious 1 or 2 gallon pump sprayer and I have no mowing equipment for something of that magnitude. Kind of made me think I was getting in over my head.

Iowabowtech, one thing to take into consideration is, if at all possible, hire someone to spray, till, plant for you, if the ground is even acessable for equipment. I will cost you a little, but it is alot cheaper than buying the equipment yourself.

I've been busy. I took your idea and ran with it NS. I've got the planting lined up via a neighbor and it sounds like an exchange of favors is all it took. Also, I got permission to do some small burns if need be. I'm thinking I could figure out a way to spray myself once it's established although I can NOT use Atrazine due to a well that is right next to the area I'm planting. Any other options instead? The area will be between 1 and 2 acres. Will the switch come back from flooding? Sorry about the large number of questions.

Also, a friend owns a chunk of ground in southern Iowa and said he has small cedars all over the place that I can remove at will. Since they're free shall I just call any cedar good or should I be sure they're of the red variety? If so, I need to learn how to identify them. Would the spring be the time to do transplants on cedars? Thanks for sticking with me here guys. Looks like options are starting to open up!!

Iowabowtech

Top Bottom