Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rocket Broadheads

muddy

Anybody here use the Rocket Sledgehammers on turkeys this spring...or ever for that matter. I'm curious as to how they performed for you such as 1) penetration, 2)knockdown ability, 3) how many pounds you were using on your bow, 4)arrow type, 5)any other comments on them.

I'm shooting Miniblasters and had "OK" success with them.

The second bird I shot this year was with a modified sledgehammer(I screwed a pathfinder tip on to it). The only problem I had with it was the 3-1/2" whole it put through the breast. I was shooting a hoyt supertec 28.5" 70lbs.
Easton carbons that weighed 590 gr. This produced roughly 81 ft/lbs of ke.
should be sufficient for turkeys.
grin.gif

Oh buy the way it was about of 6" of penetration, in the dirt behind the turkey.

Hmmmm. I don't get it. I am shooting a RazorTEC at about 70-72 pounds and have my GoldTips cut down to 27 1/2 inches and couldn't get a passthrough with the 75 gr miniblasters. I know the Super has more oom-pah behind it, but man, I figured the Razor would blow right through those birds. I'm no genius but I'm wondering if the grains per broadhead made a difference...150 vs 75?? What's your opinion on weight/grains per broadhead??

Anybody know if the expandables work well with traditional bows? I shoot a 60lb recurve. The catalogs I've seen have broadheads recomended by arrow speed and I have no idea how fast my arrows are going.

Muddy, I dont think the weight makes a differnce. Buy switching weights all you are doing is changing k.e., speed, and f.o.c. none of which is going to hurt your penetration to that extent ( in the amount that we are talking). I think it has more to do with the distance from the point to the top of the blades. The longer this distance the more broadhead is in the target before it tries to deploy the blades. This gives support to the broadhead preventing it from whiping in one direction or another on impact wasting k.e.. This is where I think most people loose penetration on shots that are not perfectly broadside and give expandables a bad name.

Ahhhhh, that makes perfect sense, never thought of it that way!! That sorta thinking is why you get the green moderator name and they pay you the big bucks!! Off hand do you know what the grains per inch are on the GoldTip XT's and the GoldTip 3D pros?? I want to figure out my kinetic energy and never seem to get it right. I'm shooting the Razor witha 29 inch draw, 71 pounds, and with my trophy taker my arrows are 27 1/4 inch long. I am trying 75 grain heads vs 100 grain heads.

I was just very disappointed with penetration on turkeys this spring. Seriously considering going back to my Muzzy with an adder or judo spring behind it. Speaking of that do you know where I can get the adder stop points?? If you don't know what I mean I'll post a picture of them.

muddy,
With the 75 grain head your shooting a 399 grain arrow and your F.O.C is about 8.1 percent which in my opinion is borderline. With the 100 grain head you will be shooting a 424 grain arrow with a 10.3 percent F.O.C. which is better. I guess my feeling is there is a happy medium between short and fast and long and slow (easy..., easy...). If I were you I would dump the 75 grn head and use the 100 grn.

Also in order to calculate KE you need the speed. What is your set-up shooting? I am guessing in the neignborhood of 260-270 fps. Let me know and I will calculate it for you.

Thanks Limb. The Razor IBO's at 309 I believe. I'll take it into work and see what she's shootin. I'll bet a used jawbreaker that 260-270 f.p.s. is right in the neighborhood. Dammit, this irritates me because I just cut off all my arrows...hopefully I don't have to buy a bunch of new ones.
cussing.gif
Looks like I'll be back to the 100 grain Muzzy's.

Anybody want to buy 3 brand new, in the package, unused Miniblasters?? =) Wait, I can interchange the tips and make them heavier can't I??

What is FOC?? What do you consider the "good, bad , & ugly" for kinetic energy??

F.O.C - Front over center. Usually between 8 and 14 percent. I like to be right in the middle.

There is much debate on the mechanical heads. However 51 foot pounds is the minimum I have heard the most. Head design has a lot to do with it. The RM Snyper has a cut on contact tip and rear opening blades and therefore need less KE to open than a Jak-Hammer or Spit Fire. I am interested in trying the new scorpionXP from NAP this year it is much like the Grim Reaper.

Limb - I'm gunna take my bow in and chrono it at work tonite. To satisfy my curiosity lets just say I'll be shooting around 260 f.p.s. What will the KE be for both the 75 & 100 grainers??

399 grn arrow at 260 fps will produce 60 ft pounds of KE.

424 grn arrow at 260 fps will produce 64 ft pounds of KE.

I shot my last deer with a Jak Hammer. It went in the boiler and punched a whole in the other side of the deer. The deer traveled 70 yards and piled up. I was shooting a 440 grain 2213 XX78 traveling at 264 fps which gave me 68 ft pounds of KE.
evil.gif

So, in your expert opinion, do you think I'm ok as far as KE or not?? This is a new concept for my primitive brain.
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

I've heard that countries in Africa that allow hunting of Cape Buffalo with bow require a min. of 90 ft. lbs. of kenetic energy. They have ribs 1/2 inch thick that overlap. I would think your setup is more than enough for North American game.
waytogo.gif

I am by no means an expert but I would say you have plenty for whitetails. I would also add that you should shoot what you are comfortable shooting!

Shovelbuck,
No way would I shoot an expandable at those bad boys give me a telephone pole 2315 and a 150 grn Magnus!
bigshock.gif

Thanks Limb, appreciate it. I know it's all about how comfortable you are about the set up and I was happy with the 75 grainers...until I had some troubles with birds. I'll stick with 100 grains and up probably...as soon as I lose all my 75 grainers.
wink.gif

Top Bottom