Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roosting Trees

F

flatlander

Will they use the same tree year after year? Or is it an area?
How far from the tree will they travel,then come back to roost that nite?
Last year was my first season of turkey hunting,so i've got a lot of blanks to fill in! The birds i hunted last year 4th season,used the same trees several nites in a row.I saw their fly down several times,then they would travel 1/2 mile or more away,only to roost in same trees come dark.Is this normal.
I was hunting along the Missouri River,in public hunting

if the pressure is minimal, then things will remain consistent. but one bad interuption and the whole scheme of things is messed up.

if you are going to hunt the roost trees and be that close, id recommend using a bow and not leaving till well after fly-up and it is dark dark dark! if you teach them that their roost isnt safe anymore, then they will find a new place....

i have seen turkeys travel a loop that is about 3-4 miles in a day, and i have seen turkeys that live all day long in a 12 acre patch and rarely venture out. so it really depends on the terrain.

they can cover some ground, that much in know.....

Some areas I hunt the birds have a half dozen roost areas and two or three primary roost areas. Other areas the birds use the same place every night unless they are disturbed. Turkeys ain't that bright, they're animals of habit until something screws their habit up and then they form a new one.

In your situation I'd go out a few times before season opened up, both early morning and late evening, and see where your birds are hanging out.

I can put them in the roost from the road,people travel it all the time.The turkey cross the road all the time.

Last year i setup in a bean field,DBULL in the open waiting for them them to feed to me or come to decoys,or my poor calling /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Tried some run and gun too!! Mostly RUN and crawl /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gifI think it toke 2-3 months to heal up /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
I've got the DB,2 jakes and 2 hens 2 mouth calls from last year.

This year i added a box call,30in. barrel for my 870,Pretty Boy w/ real fan {from blueribbon1}.I would love to win one of your slate calls in this years contest! If not i will PM you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I do plan on bow hunting this year /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gifi just can't decide which season to gun hunt /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

First tag archery only and you get all four seasons.

Your second tag would be 4th shotgun.

Granted, I have not read the gun regulations in quite a few years as I bow hunt only, so I may be wrong.

Top Bottom