Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RR Beans

JEG

I hope to drill some RR Beans in the next week. My question is how deep soybeans need to be Ive RUPed the areas I'm going to plant and was wondering if I should till or if I could go notill? Some of the plots have pretty thin cover other spots have 10" tall oats. Im using a old JD drill.

Beans don't really have to be that deep. You can actually broadcast beans and they will grow. Idealy you would want them 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch deep, but as long as they have some dirt over them, you will be fine.

I would think you would be alright no-tilling them.

Cool, I forgot to mention I have a cultipacker I can pull behind the drill would that help?

Don't plant them too deep. Plant according to moisture. 3/4 of an inch is ideal. Because they have cotyledons and have to push them up through the soil, they can break their neck so to speak if the soil crusts over. Corn can push from deeper and is recommended at 2". Your old JD drill was not meant for no-till, but if the soil is loose, you might get by with it. A little cultivation may help, but could make a mess with the standing stubble from you cereal crop.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't plant them too deep. Plant according to moisture. 3/4 of an inch is ideal. Because they have cotyledons and have to push them up through the soil, they can break their neck so to speak if the soil crusts over. Corn can push from deeper and is recommended at 2". Your old JD drill was not meant for no-till, but if the soil is loose, you might get by with it. A little cultivation may help, but could make a mess with the standing stubble from you cereal crop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soybean man is correct... 3/4" is a much better planting depth.

I left my 7000 set at 1 1/2 for corn and the beans actually do "break thier necks" trying to break thru the crust.

I knew better but just didn't take time to adjust planting depth. Most are coming up ok but shallower would have been better.

Top Bottom