Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rye and WW shade tolerance

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
We are going to clear an area this spring along a timber edge. It will be leading to a much larger food plot but this will make a great staging area. We want to put rye and winter wheat in it but just wondered what the shade tolerances are of the two plants? The plot will be about 3/4 of an acre and have some larger bur oaks around it. It does have 100% clearance to one side though, so all the morning sun will hit it but the afternoon sun will be blocked out. Pretty much a little over 50-60% sunlight I would guess. Thanks fellas

I'll bet you will be fine for what you want- slower growth for sure but you could probably off set that by starting it a few weeks earlier than normal- get it in like early August and hope for some rain. It may grow good enough that your staging area becomes the main attraction.

Cool, the area is a spot that will not dry out real easily as well, should be good. We wanted to plant beans and then no-till it in in Sept. but that might have to be next years plan.

I'd like to see what DBLTREE has to say on this one. Most all of my rye or wheat goes into decent sized sunny spots, I've noticed the edge doesn't do as well but will still grow.

Our second option was ladino or alsike clover because this area may be a little moist if we get some early fall downpours like this past season. We've already got a large field of alfalfa and clover being planted real close and just wanted a spot to put some rye and ww for added variety. Nothing will stump dbltree!

-maybe take the rye and ww and broadcast seed it into some corn stubble or standing corn in the fall...put something else in this plot that might work better

I planted winter rye in a strip through a timber last year and it did real well. It actualy grew faster than the stuff I had out in the open. I don't know if moisture or soil quality had anything to do with it. I was surprised.

I think I have a few pics in the Cereal Grain thread of some shaded rye/oats. In my case it did fairly well but not as well as that in the open.

Moisture is a big deal so if it's not real dry it should do the trick. Somethings you just have to give it a try or try several different things and compare. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Moisture won't be a problem at this site, I'll post some pictures later when we clear it and get it limed. The more we thought about it this is going to be a fall hunting plot/bowhunting mostly. We are going to mix some alsike clover, ladino clover, rye, and winter wheat to give them a buffet. Hopefully each will find their spot in the shade, dry, or moist areas. Thanks for the help guys, I'll take a bunch of pics once we get going!

Top Bottom