Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rye to brassicas

I want to plant brassicas in last years rye plot and do the rotation. Ive mowed and sprayed etc. Can I just broadcast and culti pack the brassica seed or do I need to till the ground also. thanks.

Tilled ground is always best for just about everything in my book except frost seeded clover Is your ground dry enough for tilling? If so your fortunate!

You just need to make sure that the seed makes contact with the soil. If you believe you can do that then you would be good with just spreading the seed. I would then use a cultipacker to get the seed around a 1/4 in deep. The soil should be plenty moist so you should get germination and if you till then I always worry about bringing old weed seed back to life.

Thanks for the replies guys, the ground was very dry and hard so I tilled it some. The only thing I didn't like was the rye kept piling up and looked like cut up hay out there, I got worried I wouldn't get any soil contact with the thick mats so we carried it off the field which was a lot of work actually. May cut the rye up sooner next year.

Top Bottom