Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye/Wheat/Oats???????

HUSKERBUCK

PMA Member
Been awhile since i posted here but I have a question for all the "experts". I have never really worried about food plots because my hunting areas are made of of creek bottoms that are about 100 yards wide with everything else surrounding it in corn or beans. Out of a 640 acre section there may be 75-90 acres of creek and trees with everything else farm ground. Got a new farm to hunt that is very similar but has some more trees with a fairly big block in the middle. There is a great spot to throw in a quick plot to just try it. What should I throw in there? Thought about rye (dont have any but can get it), wheat (have it), and oats (have them also). I will also throw in some turnip seeds I have. What are your experiences with any of these? This plot is just under 1/4 acre in a bigger block of trees. I just want to try it and see what happens. Any sugestions?

As far as timing it is getting a bit late on the turnips for them to amount to much. It is a great time to plant any of the grains though!

Any of the three will have deer hitting them. I would say deer preferences can vary but from my experiences.
1. Oats
2. Rye
3. Wheat

Mix rye and wheat together since you already have it and throw it down. With such a small area it wont take much of either kind of seed.

Top Bottom