Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Salvaging switchrass Q's

homegrownbucks

On my drier soils my sg has done well by frost seeding and using simazine, this would be hilltop and south facing hillsides. On the lower elevations and N facing hillside, I have had poor results. I think all the rain may have washed out the chemical and there are now a variety of weeds coming up in these areas. I am thinking of hitting these areas with oust xp this fall and then again with glyphosate/simazine in the spring and seeing if that helps. Any other postemergents I could use now to help?

I did find this:
"When broadleaf weeds (including thistle) are 2”-4” tall, use a post-emergent application of 1/3 pt Milestone® (aminopyralid), 0.15 oz Cimarron® (metsulfuron-methyl), or 0.1 oz Valuron® (metsulfuron-methyl). If nutsedge is present, use 2 pt Basagran® (bentazon sodium salt) or 1 oz of Permit® (halosulfuron). A treatment of 5.3 oz Paramount® (quinclorac) can be added to control annual grasses."

The other problem I have is a nutsedge problem. I did an area as a spring planting of SG, I don't think I got any germination of the SG and it is completely covered in nutsedge. I don't want to disturb the soil because all the SG seed should be good to go for next spring, but I am not sure what to do in the meantime. One thought I had was to roundup the nutsedge and broadcast oats over the top. The idea being the oats will die by spring but hopefully keep some of the weeds down in the meantime. Rye or brassica was another thought but I don't want anything that will inhibit the germination of the SG in the spring, so I'm not sure on those. Looking for advice, thanks!

Outrider will probably be your best bet for nutsedge in your switchgrass.

Check the label beause it kills a wide array weeds in NWSG

Outrider Label

There may be late germinating switch seedlings so I would be hesitat to use roundup, try something like Outrider and use mowing at 8-12" high if need be...:)

Top Bottom