Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scattering Spring Birds ??

River1

Need to get the gobblers away from their hens. I've been tossin around the idea of breaking up a flock as they go on roost in the evening. Has anyone tried this technique? I know some guys do this in the fall with good results.

Personaly I wouldn't try it. I've had back luck of walking in on birds on accident, and it seems they get extreamly pressured and I don't see them for a while. But if I was to try it, I would only do it once, and try my hardest to make it work so you only have to do it once a season. I know it's a fall tactic, but I've heard in the fall the birds become "dumb" if thats even possilbe for a turkey to become. If you try it, let us know how it goes! good luck
jason

Personally I wouldn't bust up flocks on the ground at all. In my experience in the spring if I spook birds off the roost on the way out at night if the tom is still there the next day he didn't gobble any time this happened. In the spring they "know" we're after 'em. However one year I was hunting and walked up on a guy just after he smoked a tom and 2 others flew off. He told me which direction they flew and when I got near the area they were both gobbling to beat hell. On the contrary in the fall birds get "dumb" is more like the birds are inexperienced since you're hunting young birds that hatched out that summer. They are stupid, but they always have 1 or 2 adult hens to keep an eye on them.

My suggestion would be to stick it out longer now. Those hens are going to be on nests now and by 11 o'clock those toms are going to be lonely and lookin for love in all the wrong places.
rockband.gif
that's your best bet to nail a gobbler. I know that this weekend I'll be heading in for an early lunch and back in the timber to hunt by 11. It worked for me earlier this year and LimbChicken had great mid day luck this year too.

Good luck.

Top Bottom