Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Blocker v.s. Scent Lok?

Old Buck

Life Member
I've used Scent Lok for a number of years and am convinced it really helps me. Has anyone compared Scent Lok v.s. Scent Blocker?

Old Buck, I've used both the Scent-Lok liner system(5 years) for colder weather and the ScentBlocker Plus Leafy-Lite suit(2 years) for warmer weather and in my opinion, both have helped my hunting. I'm considering replacing my liner system this year(I know they won't last forever,but I can't seem to get any advice on when to replace the garments), I got a chance to see my partner's ScentBlocker liner system and was impressed...much softer than my Scent-Lok and I liked the ribbed/banded ankles and wrists. This topic has come up before on the other board I frequent, ScentBlocker seems to be the choice of most hunters...although I believe both make a quality product.

TB

[This message has been edited by Two Beards (edited 02-24-2002).]

Oldbuck, I've used Scent-Lok a few times and then got an outfit with Supprescent. Man, I love that stuff. It was much more comfortable to wear. My Scent-Lok was really stiff and bulky. I always do the usual regimine of showering with the "green stuff", wearing rubber boots and all, but, I swear by my Supprescent. I took a 153" buck standing directly down wind of me this fall that never new I was there. I've never used the Scent Blocker but have a friend that uses it and he seems to like it very well. I'm sold on the Supprescent.

Just a question that goes along. Do we need the liner system to go along with the outerware. Thanks for the feedback.

I was once told by a Scent Lok rep that all of these scent eliminating clothing companies are subdivisions of one company. I didn't quite understand this, but this is what he said. Has anyone else heard about this? The guy seemed like he was a few cards short of a full deck, but I could be wrong.
BT

I would agree with Primetime, the technology is close to the same, but the ScentLok seems to be stiff when you see it new. I don't know what it is like after use. I assume it softens.

I bought ScentBlocker Plus Ultralite jacket and ScentBlocker Northern Lite pant/bibs. Saw immediate results with more coyotes than ever under my trees. I use a ScentLok head cover with holes cut in it for hearing ability.

Thou, even with this stuff on I get busted by does all the time. Always them ones that like to stand there and snort and wheeze at you. I just wave my arms to scare the b&^ch away.

Side note: Hate Carbon Blaster, turns my stuff black. Cleans up easy but still....

SDBUCK, I do wear an under liner as well as my Supprescent suit. It's called Abscent. It's a real thin black poly/nylon fabric that is supposed to be treated with a scent eliminating chemical. I picked it up at Wal-Mart. It was only about $30 for top and bottom. The rest of my hunting group wear it as well and all seem to be happy with it. Like I said, I wear it with my other scent suit so I don't know how much benefit I get from it but I figure it can't hurt and it's another layer when its cold.

I have just been reading some of your responses and I think that for those of you who thought that Scent Lok suits were stiff, you should look at their new suits (last years and this year). The old ones I agree, were very stiff but they really have that taken care of now. I have tried both of them in the past and they both definitely work! But, I don't beleive that we will be having this discussion next year since Scent Blocker will more than likely not be around (in the scent suit business that is anyway).

I have hesitated to invest in any clothing using activated charcoal because science says that activated charcoal can never be fully restored to its "virgin" quality. Heat will store to some extent, but each time it loses a little until there isn't any absorbant surface left. How long that takes would depend on a lot of factors, but have to believe its absorbant ability would be depleted long before the clothing was worn out. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Supprescent fabric uses a different approach which would seem more lasting. It acts by suppressing bacterial growth that produces odors, rather than trying to absorb them like Scent Blocker etal. Add that to basic odor control of showering and keeping strong odors off clothing, and one should be about there. I've been most concerned about breath and head odor, and have invested in a Scent Block hood for that reason (most heat lost off head) and also use those "curiously strong peppermints" to hide my human breath.

My logic in that is that the dogs I've hunted with seem to have a strong interest in live birds, but once they're dead the odor given seems to change dramatically. Only dogs that are good at "hunting dead" seem to pick up any odor after the bird is dead, while all of the dogs were wild over the scent of the live bird just before. Maybe that's just coincidental observance and not supported by science, and the only reason I can come up with the impact on the dogs is that the dead bird obviously isn't breathing, so much of the odor picked up by the dogs seems associated with breath. Still warm, still "fresh", so should be giving off those odors, which is probably what the "hunt dead" dogs pick up. Deer, at least trophy deer, may have similar abilities as the "hunt dead dogs" to pick up more subtle scents, but on the other hand no particular reason why they would have had to be THAT good, because if they took that much time they'd probably be dead before they took off at the first whiff of "strong odor", odd sound, etc. They other senses besides an overly discerning nose to keep them safe. Not to downplay the importance of odor control, just wonder how far it's really necessary to go.

I don't worry about scented soaps, just make sure to shower and soap up good, use anti-persperant. Stay away from the cologne, but not fanatical about it, but DO take some measure to cover breath odor (garlic might be better than "clean human", don't necessarily have to smell good, just don't smell dangerous). Don't see any reason why deer should fear peppermint on my breath, or some mild soap scent unless they've been shot at by somebody who was breathing peppermint scent or whatever all over. Otherwise, no reason to associate those scents with danger, if they make note at all would seem as likely to be curious as afraid. NA Whitetail carried a study/article testing deer scents vs. human urine vs. new car smell, and interestingly the human urine was as much of an attractant as some of the deer scents, and the new car smell worked better than some. But maybe the deer tested just happened to be in the market for a new Impala (sorry).

Along with keeping body clean (shower during the day, not necessarily right before going out in the field unles you've been sweating), keep clothes cleanly washed since they pick up bacteria/odor (hence the thought that Suppressent fabric is probably worth the money, by keeping odor-causing bacteria from populating clothing).

Not a "super expert" in the subject in spite of the long post, but did have a number of deer and other critters under my stand, walk across my trail in, and wander around down wind all year without appearing to have picked up my scent.

GDCoop,
In my opinion, I would say that any scent that deer are not accustomed to is a threat. I guess it depends on where your from and what is natural in that area. In my experiences, any scent that is not natural to the area seems to be a red flag. I will say that their have been times where I've ignored the scent laws and been successful in outsmarting a whitetail. 99% of the time the wind has played the lead role in this situation. I believe deer can adapt to certain scents, but only if they are exposed to it for prolonged periods of time. For an example, if you live in a developed area with woodlands, you will often see deer in your backyard. If you were to build a house in an isolate wooded area, I believe the deer would avoid this area until the threat of a new site/smell is retained in their memory and the threat no longer exists. Just follow the native american procedures..... Cover yourself in mud/ash/and whatever else is natural to the area. It's too bad that in Iowa the temps are usually a LITTLE too cold to do this but it worked for the natives. Wouldn't be nice to know exactly what whitetails are capable of? I guess if we knew everything they did, there wouldn't be any sport in it. It's amazing with all of our modern technology that whitetails still remain a mystery.

BT

Bux,
Why do you say Scent Blocker will more than likely not be around?

GDCooper,
I've found the same results you mentioned. After a lot of use and many 'reactivations' my Scent Lok seems to decrease in effectiveness. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at other options.

Guys here is a price alert on the Scent Loc liner suit. I was in the bargain cave at Cabelas and they have the pants and shirt for $99.95. I wish that I could have got my Scent Blocker suit for that. I feel that I had good luck with the suit, but I do all the other stuff about scent control as well. I had a yearling bedded down wind of me at 10 yards away last fall for an hour and never even knew I was there and had a 2 1/2 year old buck bed down after chasing does.

later
Doug

Big Timber, don't disagree that strange odors could be alarming, especially to an older, more experienced animal. Some tests have shown deer to have a strong sense of curiousity as well, but those don't evaluate the curious animals' level of experience. I do endorse odor control, just probably am not as fanatical about it as some, to the extent of avoiding "regular" bath soap. I think supprescent fabric would be a good investment, along with regular washing of whatever you wear and keeping clothes free from detergent smell. Not so convinced about any clothing that uses activated charcoal, for reasons explained.

I also think cover scents are good, natural being a much better way to go than anything unnatural, as a supplement to scent control. And that's sort of the point of "peppermint breath"--there are several plants native to Iowa that have a minty odor, so peppermint is at least a somewhat natural smell. Even if it isn't for sake of argument, I think the possibly strange smell of peppermint would be better than the known danger of "man smell". Which, I feel emanates more from one's breath than from other sources (assuming good body hygene) on the basis of unscientific observation of hunting dog behavior.

Haven't ever read any articles about that, but maybe that's because there's not as much commercial potential in "breath control for hunters", as there is in selling baking soda scent spray for clothing???? Just gotta come up with the right marketing gimmick. Let's see...maybe a breath mint that smells like doe in estrus....

Old Buck,
It is true that the Scent Lok suits loose their effectiveness as time goes on. The rule of thumb is 3 years max but I get new suits every year just to be safe. About Scent Blocker, they just lost a court case and are not allowed to sell the suits any longer.

Top Bottom