Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scheel's Superstore in Sioux Falls

idsman75

Well, mom and dad are getting a new revolver for Christmas and I wanted some things changed with it so I drove up to Gary's Guns in Sioux Falls today to take care of that. While it was being worked on I decided to check out the Scheel's superstore. We are getting a new one across the street from where I work in Sioux City so I figured I'd get a glimpse of what I had to look forward to. My experience has always told me that the friendliest salesman are usually the ones that work in sporting goods stores. After my experience today I would have to say that Scheel's must have hired anyone and everyone they could get there hands on for the opening of this new superstore because what I saw was beyond belief.

There was a man trying to pick out a scope for his shotgun and he had absolutely no experience with scopes whatsoever. He made his budget clear to the salesman who proceded to beat him up over the fact that he didn't want a $300 scope for a $400 shotgun but wouldn't explain why some scopes are better than others. He just talked down to him and made him feel like an idiot. I've never seen a high-pressure sales pitch over a scope. It was beginning to get quite entertaining when the salesman actually sounded like he was starting to whine and beg the guy to buy something more expensive. As soon as the salesman had the case unlocked and opened the customer just grabbed the first scope he could get his hands on (which was completely inappropriate for his application) and turned his back on the salesman who just shook his head and walked away. I turned the corner and stopped to talk with the customer and actually started explaining some things to him and his wife about optics. After about 2 minutes he realized why the scope he was holding was all wrong. He decided to get something more appropriate (and a little more expensive) after our friendly informative conversation.

The salesman ignored the customer's wife. Hello! Wouldn't a sporting goods salesman grasp the fact that the wife probably is a major factor in the purchase of major hunting accessories? If the wife isn't satisfied with the purchase that her husband made then she won't let him spend anymore money at the sporting goods store! She might be more supportive of future purchases if she can understand why cheap isn't always better.

The best part was the small group of salesman that started to gather in the background to watch me do what they were unable (or unwilling) to do.

I hope that the Scheel's salesmen in Sioux City transfer to the new Scheel's superstore when it opens. They treat me like a king.

Top Bottom