Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scopes Decisions

nginth

Well I have my scope choices narrowed down to two choices. I am considering the Leupold 3x9x40 VxI/II or the Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40. This scope will be mounted on Knight Disc.

Are there any opinions on the difference in quality between the Burris and the Leupold? The Burris is around $199.99, comparable to the VXI. The VXII is around 90.00 extra bucks.

I am leaning towards the Burris because of the price and their claim of 95% light transmission. I guess I am open to any opinions or other ideas.

I put a nikon monarch 3-9X40 on my encore and like it a lot. 95% light transmission, full lifetime warranty, waterproof, shock proof and fogproof construction. I looked hard all summer for one I wanted and this one was my pick....I looked at a lot....I mean a lot of scopes in the process. As far as price....I spent $300 on this one.

Just an observation on the choice of power range. I put a 1.5-4.5X32 BSA Cateye on my CVA inline because I didn't feel like I needed the extra power, especially in the timber and when my shots won't be more than 100-125 yds anyway. I was also suprised by the brightness compared to some much higher priced scopes with comparable warranty. With < 1" group at 100 yds, can't wait to settle it on a deer during late muzzle season!

http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=475&Prod_Code=FM1545X32

I bought my 5th Leupold yesterday at Cabelas. I have owned a lot of scopes and from what I have seen Leupolds are very reliable clear, and they have a great reputation. I would go with the VI I think the VII is just $marketing to cover a wider price range. Also this years VI is last year VII. Burris seem nice, but one of the scopes I looked though was blurry around the outside perimeter.
grin.gif

Burris builds a good quality scope but the ones i've looked at have a very narrow eye relief which is not good for quick shots if you have to take one.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at a Bushnell Trophy. i know what your thinking. Bushnell..............I don't think so. But I now own 2 of them and they are both mounted on Knights. One is about 6 years old and I have had no problems with it and it's been exposed to 16 straight days of rain in Alaska. Good light gathering scope at a reasonable price.

Agreed with Moose, the bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 is very hard to beat for the money. Cabela's Guide series makes a pretty good scope too.

I have the same Leupold you are thinking about buying on my muzzleloader. I liked it so much this is the third gun I have had it on. Mine has performed very well in low light conditions and it hasnt ever fogged up on me outside. I have tried alot of different scopes and for the money you wont find any better.

I don't own a muzzleloader, but my Winchester .270 deer rifle is topped with a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm. I spent months scope shopping after I bought the rifle, and eventually arrived at the conclusion that Leupolds are well worth the money. I'm sure one would serve you very well on your muzzleloader.

I never owned a Burris but am an owner of 4 leopolds and have had 0 problems. They've all been put to the test in more ways than one, and thier lifetime warrinty.

I have not seen a bad recommendation yet. All good scopes. I will throw in the Bushnell 3200 Elite or the Sightron SII as scopes to look at while doing your shopping.

I have the Cabela's Pine Ridge blackpowder/shotgun scope on the Knights that CamoKid and I own. It is a 2 - 7x scope, and they have served us well. I'm sure more $$ gets a better scope, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes on a 100 yard shot.

I did my research and end ended up narrowing my search down to the Bushnell Elite 3200, the Leupold VXII, and the Sightron II. I looked at all three options and decided on the Elite 3200. If you havent seen it check it out. I went with the 3x9x40 with firefly cross hairs. I appreciate all the suggestions, I will let you know how the scope is.
grin.gif

No problem with that Limb. In the meantime here is a site if you want to check out what it looks like looking through the scope.
web page I have a feeling the 3x9 would probably have a different scope picture.

If you are considering a new scope or gun I also found the next site very helpful. Chuck Hawks
web page

I will let you know how it performs when I test it out her in about 3 weeks.

Top Bottom