Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Score!

kbgibby

Threebeards
Finally got out Thursday morning in southwest corner of Clarke Co. A buddy and I set up at 4:30 and had gobbling all around us. Saw two birds fly down and heard several others. Had two jakes come in within range but they kept trees between us and backed out when they saw the jake decoy.
Moved several ridges over and set up on big tom with two hens. Hens would argue back and forth with our calling and even jumped up on a limb to try to spot that other mouthy hen. It was a blast! The gobbler strutted the whole time. The hens finally left and after about an hour total, the gobbler came in, half-puffed up and ready to kick the jake decoy's ass. Rolled him at 20 yards right at 10 a.m. Nice bird -- 22 lbs, thick 10 1/2" beard and 7/8" spurs.
My buddy connected Sat. at 6 a.m. with one that came in right off the roost. Skinnier (19 4, but had 1 1/4" spurs. Saw and heard lots of birds -- nothing beats Iowa in spring!!!
bow.gif

Threebeards

Attachments

• 25437-03turk.jpg
    25437-03turk.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 5
congratulations on a awesome hunt, always good one a plan works together. i see that you are from ames, ia. im currently there right now too, im a sophmore in chemical engineering. ive been doing some turkey hunting around here lately on public ground and ive finally found a good spot around here with alot of birds and i think i will be into them this thursday when finals are over. anyways congratualtions again!!!

Thanks Liv4Rut! I've posted a pic of the bird (above).

I've done some scouting around here (Ames) and seen a few in the fall up along the Skunk but never tried it in the spring. I think Indian Creek south of Nevada towards Maxwell has birds. Got a hen last fall west of Luther; the DM River valley is a whole different story.

Good luck and let me know how you do!

Threebeards

Top Bottom