Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scouting

L

Littlefeather

How early do some of you get out in the woods to watch deer? Last year was my first year bow hunting and I didn't even buy my bow until late September. I didn't spend any time in the woods. I just picked a spot on a trail and found a tree my climber would go up.

The land that I hunt has a 10 acre patch of corn next to it this year that was not there last year and I think the trail I sit on will be really hot this fall. I was thinking about heading out late August/early September to see how the deer moved this year as I expect it to be different than last year. I had planned on setting up a good distance away from where I plan to hunt as not to spook the area.

Any advice, both what to do and what not to do would be appreciated.

Most of the guys and gals who consistently harvest big whitetails will tell you that scouting is a year round project. Depending on where you live it can also be somewhat expensive with gas prices being what they are.

I would begin scouting from a distance right now, by that I mean get out there and put some miles on the vehicle and use your binos and spotting scope. Once you have located several nice bucks get permission to hunt. Then do some, but not much stand preparation. I would not wait until a few days prior to hunting them to start cutting shooting lanes and trimming trees. One doesn’t want to spook them to much.

The other approach that I think has a good deal of merit is low impact hunting, watch the target buck from a distance go about his daily route of entering and exiting a food source or bedding area. Resist the temptation of going into the area until you plan on hunting that buck, and then only when the wind conditions are in your favor.

Top Bottom