Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seed Sources

Just trying to get a list together of possible locations that sell seed/seed mixes for food plot plantings. They can be either actual retail stores/co-ops or be online stores as long as they are competitive in price and have good selection. It would be nice of the stores were close to East central Iowa or South Central Iowa

Spend some time browsing through past threads in this area and you will see Welter Seed gets the nod most often.

Welter's get my business from now on. I bought some tecomate alfalfa feast 10lbs for over 60 dollars. If you looked at that plot you can hardly see any alfalfa it's probably 90% chickory which is like under 2 dollars a pound at welter's. I bought rye from welter's and got 56lbs for 25 dollars shipped to me in about 1 1/2 days.
If you can find someone like them near by it would be better if you didn't have to pay shipping. 12 of the 25 dollars was shipping. But it's worth a little extra money for great service. Plus 12 dollars in gas won't get you very far any more.

It is hard to beat Welters for top quality seed without paying for a picture of a "big buck" on the bag... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If you have no choice but to order they would be my first choice but many larger seeds are expensive to ship and should be available locally. In some cases however I have been able to get a bag of seed shipped to me from Welters for about the same as a bag off the shelf locally so do your homework.

Osenbaugh's and 21st Century C0-OP (nannyslayer) are a couple other great Iowa sources especially if you live in thier area. Both can ship you great high quality seed that will do the job.

Welters Seed & Honey If they don't have it...you don't need it... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Osenbaugh’s Prairie Seed Farms Dan can set you up with everything from alfalfa to big bluestem!

nannyslayer I have tried seed from Brian and all of it has been outstanding and at a very reasonable price. If he doesn't have it...he can probally get it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

You can order seed mixes from Cabelas or Bass Pro, Cooper Seeds etc. but shipping and time are against you from the get go.

Half the fun is doing a little homework right here on this forum and finding out what seeds will work well and buying exactly what you need and knowing what you bought!

Many buy seed mixes with no real idea what's in the bag or why they should or shouldn't plant it.

A seed source like Welters allows us to buy 5#'s of pure clover without other "fluff" added in...if you want "fluff" it's available also...at a lessor price.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom