Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Setups

risto2351

If any of you have time please show some of your setups
with your Dbl. Bull and dekes.

Also wondering how far from the blind you set
the PB or B-Mobile from it?

Also actual window opening during your hunt.

Thanks in advance.

This is the only picture I can find of one of my setups from last year. Deke was around 12 yards out and the window opening is how it was when I shot him. I always set my dekes 10 - 15 yards from the front of the blind facing me. As far as the window opening I try to play the sun as musch as possible when setting it up. If I get it set up with the sun at my back I open it up as far as I want. Dress yourself completely in black; hands, face and shirt you'll be good to go.

picture.php

Don't have any pics handy but basically just look at Jethro's because my setup is almost identical. I set the dekes at exactly 12 yards. No real reason behind that other than superstition on my part. On a DB Matrix, I make the window in the corner of the blind as in the above pic. Just don't shoot the down strap. :D

I also bring the netting up to cover the tapered portions of the shooting window, leaving only the larger area in the center totally open. 10-4 on the dark clothing at least from the waist up. Also a great point on keeping the sun at your back or at least out to the side. Never want to have it directly in your eyes particularly at crunch time.

I never EVER have windows open on opposite sides of the blind. That allows for light to pass completely through and you to get "shadowed". If I have to look out the back or sides, I carefully lift up the fabric in a small spot to just barely see out and then ease it back down. May be overkill but it's worked fairly well so I'm sticking with this recipe.

I have set ups where I tuck into brush and set ups where I set up in the middle of the field. I put PB no more than 10 yards from the blind and no other decoy any farther than 12 steps. Many times I put hen deeks very close to the blind, 5-10 feet. This way if a bird skirts your deeks by 20 yards they're within shooting range.

As far as opening the window, I always try to face away from the sun with the open part of my matrix. If they come in behind I shut the blind and shoot out the little portal windows.

Top Bottom