Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shady plot ?

ajadams

PMA Member
My dad has to put in a new fence in the back of the farm and part of it goes through a timber. I want to plant something in there but not sure what. It is pretty steep and im not sure how much im going to be able to work the ground. The path will be 30 to 40 feet wide so some will get sun but there are some mature trees in the area that will block alot of sun. Also not having to plant every year would be a plus.

I've got a clover patch that was an old 1 acre opening but then the west end is scattered 15 to 25 foot norways. I planted it all to clover after really working the crap out of it all.

The clover that gets the sun alot gets taller and slightly thicker (not by much) but the stuff in the shade stays greener alot longer in the fall. And after this summer we had a REALLY dry summer and I mowed it a little late and the stuff in the shade came back quite a bit better.

My vote is a good clover patch.

Dean

[ QUOTE ]
My vote is a good clover patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

Frost seed it and if it needs spraying you can use a backpack sprayer since it sounds steep.

Clover is about the only option that I know for shady spots. If it's small the deer will mow it for you, if not white clover won't need as much mowing as red clovers.

Most likely needs lime if it's a wooded spot but you can put everything on by hand or with an ATV.

Little tougher to do an out of the way, rough spot...but it can be done
smile.gif

Top Bottom