Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sharing the Virus

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
The only antedote is teeth..... and Lots of them.....

This is a good story, one that won't be super short.... but one that will be worth the read!

My wife and Son and I headed up to her fam's cabin for a long weekend of chilling out with the family, and muskie fishing.... I took my bass stuff, but that gear never made it out of the travel tubes it came in....

Thursday at noon, I met up with a buddy who is a guide in Mille Lacs, he wanted to fish West Battle Lake, and try to brake the comination for that lake. I have fished there for quite a few years, but have only caught a few fish. But that is muskie fishing I would tell myself.

We fished until 1:30 AM with nothing to show cept one big fish sluggishly appearing on a bulldawg. It was slow. Paul agreed that West Battle was just a tough lake to fish. Under the right conditions, it could be exceptional, but the conditions we had were not condusive at all.

Friday came and I had plans to meet with fellow IW'er, Ryan, (Shoot2Kill). He has spent a large amount of time in Alaska wrestling with 50 lbs. Salmon, and has a number of other large fish to his name, but never tangled with the mightly muskellunge! Big Detroit is a lake just an hour from the cabin and I needed to fish a new lake, Battle has beat me up and I needed a break. Plus Ryan's wife's family has a cabin just a few minutes from Detroit.

I had never fished this lake, but had a couple friends who do often and they were kind enough to share some tips with me on where to start (Thanks Andy and Tracy!) Ryan was unable to meet me before 530 PM, so I got there early to try and move some fish and become more familiar with the lake. in the process I moved 2 fish and stuck this little guy!
picture.php

I was pumped!

Shortly after that, I picked up Ryan and we headed out! We managed to move a couple more fish, and Ryan ended up raising a super tanker! this fish was easily 50 inches and had some major girth to it! This is where things got funny.... just as this fish appeared behind Ryan's bait, Ryan screamed like a little girl and forgot all about the Figure 8 lesson i gave him earlier.... hahahaha, you really had to be there, but in all the excitement I tried to get my bucktail in the water in case he was more interested in that approach.... I got it stuck on the edge of the boat, and when it popped free, it hit Ryan in the back of the head... He said it didnt hurt and no big deal... well, a few minutes later i noticed he was bleeding like a stuck pig... hahahaha, apparently he didnt know either....
picture.php

The sunset was awesome so we snapped a few pix!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We had plans to fish the same weedbed where I stuck my fish We fished there for an hour before we moved our first fish, and that was the point where things got exciting! I was fishing a Pacemaker, (topwater) and Ryan was fishing a #10 Red Cowgirl with bright red blades. this way we were covering both potentials. I had a fish up pushing water but turned away from the bait, Ryan figured 8'd and the fish turned on his bait once! No dice, but a good encounter.

Less than half an hour later, I had a fish blow up on my Pacemaker, but she missed. I told Ryan to get his bait out there, he did, and in no time at all, the fish ate the Cowgirl and the fight was on! We netted the fish and Ryan's very first muskie was in hand!

picture.php

A 45 incher is a great way to start your career as a muskie angler!

But it doesnt end there! After a successful release, we got back at it! it wasnt 15 minutes and from the back of the boat came a frantic cry! I got him!, I got him! Fish number 2 for Ryan was on the end of the line and this fish gave an incredible battle! One of the best musky fights I got to witness, around the boat, under the boat, all the way out of the water, on and on! it was intense! This fish was big, noticabley larger than the preveous!

This fish engulfed the bait, and we finally got the hooks out of his face.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not only did Ryan nail his first muskie on his first official muskie trip, but he stuck his first true monster. 51 inches! Unbelievable!
picture.php

picture.php

Im pretty sure Ryan understands that it doesnt always go like this, but when it does, eat it up!

It was a phenominal night and we called it a night around 230 AM. ya done good brother! Congrats, Im glad your first Llunge experience was one you will never forget!!!!!

picture.php

Virus is an UNDERSTATEMENT YOU BASTARD! haha!

I've been patiently waiting for this post! Finally! :)

Somebody described the night to me as "Legendary" after I told them the story...and that is the best word to describe it. I've been living off the rush since then and CANNOT stop thinking about fishing for those things! Just something about chasing the biggest damn fish in the lake that gets a guy going!

Thanks again Thomas....without a doubt, fish or not, one of the best times I've had on the water in years and I truly needed it. Everything about it....the fish sightings, the lake, the sweet sweet sounds from the open mic at the bar carrying out over the water, you dropping the hammer on the motor to go drop a deuce at the Marina bar cause your tummy hurt (sorry, couldn't resist...hahaha), the 6/0 treble in the back of the melon, the Busch Light (I've decided it will be the only beer I musky fish with BTW), and of course, the 2 HOGS that have revived the crazy psycho fisherman inside me that I once was in AK!

Payday is soon....I got a list, gonna spend some coin, and be back chasing more TEETH next Friday evening! If at some point I end up on food stamps because all my checks go to Muskie gear I'm gonna kick your arse! Hahaha!

Thanks again man!

AWESOME...AWESOME...AWESOME.

Love the story. So $ did you catch any other than the 1 little guy and the back of shoot2kills head? Good story, great pics, and monster fish.
Awesome.

Great story and pics guys!! I had a great eveing with my brother once where we caught 10 muskies on a border lake in Wis. and the UP. but no hawgs like that!! Nights lke that don't hapen very often. That is really cool!! Congrats!!

Wow!!! Looks like you guys had a heck of a night of fishing!!

Monsters!!!!

Thomas,

How come all of your stories include the same common phrase "I had to run to the crapper", or "The 5 burritos I ate for lunch almost made me crap myself"?

Seems to be a common theme in your stories!!!! hahahaha

How come all of your stories include the same common phrase "I had to run to the crapper", or "The 5 burritos I ate for lunch almost made me crap myself"?

Seems to be a common theme in your stories!!!! hahahaha

Nacho - that is why I could NOT leave that part out. :)

Cool pics and story guys, I love going after Northern but catching one of those would be a dream come true.

Un-freakin-real! Well done guys. I've been wanting to give Ski fishN a shot for quite some time now, hopefully it pans out soon! Nice fish...

Those fillets must have been huge!!! Ha,ha! :grin: Truly awesome any way you look at it guys! Congrats on a night you'll never forget!

Top Bottom