Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sharpening muzzy broadheads?

tlambert

PMA Member
Has anyone come up with a good way to sharpen muzzy's? I'm shooting 100 gr 3-blades and have been for about 13yrs. I seem to have one heck of a pile of used blades:confused: and can't seem to find a good way to get them sharpened.

Hmmm, just thinking of a jig I could make to use with a dremel...may have answered my own question...

Good question

I have a pile of old Muzzy blades too that if I could resharpen them I would be money ahead for this year.

If you are successful in making a jig to use with a dremel could you post that here for me to "borrow" your idea from? :) :)

I shoot the same broadheads and I picked up a Lansky sharpener with a built-in wrench this year. It was $7 at Sportsman's Warehouse and works very well, especially in putting a quick edge on the blade. The only drawback is that it takes a pretty good chunk of metal off of the blades, but it does sharpen them real nice. It also fits in a pack with no problems and no added weight. I just held the blades with a pair of pliers at the bend and sharpened them with no problems. Worth a look, anyway.

picture.php

The Lansky system will do any replaceable blade because it has a vice that holds them and creates the proper angle with the holes in the jig. You can also leave the blades in the jig and pull them across a strop when you're done for a final finish if desired.

I actually have a

Lansky sharpening system that I use with good success on many other blades and knives, but with the unique bend in the base of the blade on Muzzy blades I didn't think I would be able to use it.

I'll have to check that tonight. Also, does the KME sharpener for sure work on Muzzy blades? It looks as though the bedn in the base of the blade may not let that system work either.

I think you'd be money ahead if you just bought new replacement blades. Chances are you will not get them factory sharp again or you will but only by shaving off several grains of weight from each blade. After all that, every blade will not be identical and possibly have flight issues????

Lansky sharpening system that I use with good success on many other blades and knives, but with the unique bend in the base of the blade on Muzzy blades I didn't think I would be able to use it.

Haven't used Muzzys for years so I can't quite tell what you mean by the bend. Are you saying that if you're looking straight down the blade from the back that there's an extension of metal that sticks out to the left or right? If so, it won't work. If not, it should work.

Give Ron a call at KME, the guy is great to deal with. I'm sure he could tell you how to get your muzzy blades scary sharp. Maybe his knife sharpening system would work better for your curved blades? It's similar to Lansky, but a little better (more precision design)

People use his system to rework factory sharp heads, it's pretty increadible how easy it is to attain scary sharp with this thing.

Just checked out the KME vids. Have to agree, they're clearly superior in design. They put a lot of thought into both sharpeners.

I have a sharener that is probably 20 years old from this place that I bought on a whim to try on Wasp broadheads. It will put a razor edge on Muzzy's if it's made the same way it was back then, it takes about 2 minutes to do a head and you can shave the hair on your arm with it when you are done. It will not do the first 1/8th inch but it doesn't matter, I killed alot of deer with blades sharpened with it. Well worth the investment or $10. This will not remove enough metal to make a difference on weight either. http://www.creativesalescompany.com/store/product505.html

that lansky system is the way to go i actually work at SW and have a ton of people ask for them to sharpen there replacement blades and you can get the factory edge back on them. I use it myself and i wouldnt trade it for anything

I have had awesome luck with TRUANGLE sharpeners for Muzzy blades. Here's a link to the website. http://www.truangle.net/

Look at the professional version on the R3. I have an older model R4 and I can get Muzzy blades sharper than a paper wheel can get a knife. My left thumb barely survived a Muzzy attack a few years ago after a sharpening incident.

That being said, it's hard to argue with a traditional archer on blade sharpeners.

Top Bottom