Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shock calls

J

jason

What do you guys use for shock calls? I use a crow and an owl, but it seems they didn't respond to them very well last year. I thought about getting an coyote howler, do any of you guys use one?
Thanks, and good hunting

Jason V

I like to use shock calls myself. I mainly use an owl hoot. My experience is however that there is a "window of time" each spring when they work the best. In my area, once you are into second or third season the turkeys have heard enough shock calls, so they don't answer. I have never tried a coyote howler. I figure that even if you get the turkey to answer to one, he may go on high alert, thinking there is a coyote near. That's just my personal preference. Good luck to everyone this spring.

I use a crow and owl calls as locators as well. Have never used a coyote howler.....I think I agree that if a bird is close enough he might get spooky thinking that a yote is near. I have a buddy that has used a raging peacock call (the most annoying, screeching sound I have ever heard) and he has had some luck with it. Sometimes it seems that you can make any sound and they will shock gobble....other mornings they won't respond to jack.....you just have to hit them at the right time.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Top Bottom