Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sight / Rest Question???

deadeye

I am thinking about getting a different setup before spring turkey season comes along. I am looking at sights and a rest for now. I think I will go with the trophy taker shakey hunter rest. Unless anybody has a similarly priced rest that they like better. I am a bit undecided on sights.

First off I don't know that I am sold on the vertical pins. I question if they will be in the way trying to pick out the bottom of a deer when taking aim. Next I need to decide if .029 or .019 is going to be better. I do like the round sight housing style's. I was also wondering how many people have the lights? I do turkey hunt out of a ground blind and this may be a nice feature. Will be mainly for hunting, but I want to get into 3-D more again.

I am looking at the Trophy Ridge line of vertical pin sights. I am also considering the Copper John Dead Nuts sight. And the Spot-Hogg sight. I know many people praise the Spot Hogg, but I can't see spending $170 on a sight. What is the difference between the Hunter Hogg it and the Right On? Money is an issue here, but I do want a quality sight.

Take a look at Toxonics Top Gun Series. I personally like them better than the SH sights. Round pin guard, nothing plastic, and tooless adjustment is excellent. I also shoot the Top Pin sight from TrophyTaker......that top pin is VERY bright. The rest sounds like a good choice to me. Good luck.
Tox-Tooless
T-50.jpg

TT-Top Pin
e7d58900.jpg

The Hunter Hogg-it has more features,2nd and 3rd axis leveling,where the Right-on dosen't.The gang adjusments are alittle different also the Hunter Hgg-it has micro vertical and horizontal gang adjustment,where the Right-on is just a dovetail slide for adjusting as far as I know.And The Hunter is longer in overall length.

I did look at the Top Pin. That one is bright. Still can't decide on vertical or horizontal pins. I don't know if I need all the adjustment features. I have even wondered if the tooless feature would just get me in trouble more than it would help out.

Now I use an old cheap Cobra sight with 2 pins. One for killing range and 1 for 40 yards. It is locked down and hasn't been adjusted in a long time. How often do you take advantage of the tooless feature???

Oh yeah, have been checking the classifieds out for somebody's retired sight, but have not found any.

Rudd,
Do you know if Toxonics makes Hoyt sights for them they are very similar? My buddy bought a Hoyt sight the other day and it looks identical to that one.

You are exactly right NonRes. Tox makes the brown anodized sights for Hoyt. They also carry a higher price tag as well.

deadeye, you're more than welcome to borrow my trophy ridge flatliner. 3 pin all black, very plain and boring but it kills deer. you've already heard my preaching about how great vertical pins are so i'll save it for when we meet up again. i'll be at my parental units this weekend, i can drop off the flatliner if you want to try it out. it has the larger pin size and personally i think that is the way to go.

Nonres,
Toxonics does make sights for Hoyt bows. If you go with the Hoyt sight it is a Toxonic.

Was hoping to get more opinions on vertical versus horizontal pins. Also looking for more opinions on the .019 vs .029 pin size.

[ QUOTE ]
Was hoping to get more opinions on vertical versus horizontal pins. Also looking for more opinions on the .019 vs .029 pin size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford vs. Chevy. Do you have a shop where you can put one on and shoot for a while then try another? That may be the best and cheepest option. As for pins, .29 for 20yds and .19 for 40yds the most common we see.

deadeye, i dropped that flatliner off at my dad's house. it's in the shop above the fishtank
smile.gif
have your pops stop up and pick it up otherwise i'll bring it down opening weekend.

i personally like the larger pin sizes, those small ones are harder for me to see.

I have the Hunter Hogg It on my Outback and Legacy and love it.It is so simple to adjust.

Top Bottom