Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sighting in your bow

C

cityhick87

I just started shooting a bow about 4 or 5 months ago and i just can't get it sighted in.One time i'll shoot a consistent group then the next there all over i just can't seem to get it.I was wondering if anyone has also had the same trouble. Or if anyone had some tips. I would appreciate it.

i've had the same trouble? what kind of bow do u have and what kind of sights. it may be cause ur holding ur release in a different spot then the time before ive been noticing ive been doing that.

[This message has been edited by 16point (edited 02-21-2002).]

I've got a Hoyt Mt sport the single limb not the split.With archers choice sights. I have a swivel head release. My inconsistancy is really making me mad. With the sights pretty well consistant on an 8 inch target pushing it on a vital shot. I'm really worried about not getting it sighted in for turkey season but according to what everyone else says i guess i just need pacience and i'm not expecting to get a bird my first time or even the next 2 years maybe longer. How long did it take you to sight your bow in.

[This message has been edited by cityhick87 (edited 02-21-2002).]

I agree with 16point, the most important thing for consistancy, once you have the bow dialed in, is a consistant anchor point. Try to pick a point on your jaw or something that you draw back to every time you shoot.

It took me a couple of weeks to sight in my bow. i hold my release at the same spot now everytime and im perfect, to where i want to shoot.I hold my release so it touches my ear lobe. but yours is probly different, but it worked for me. so take the time and remember where u hold ur release i shoot a swivel head cobra.i shoot a Golden Eagle "evolution" single limb.I have cobra sights. i like it alot.

[This message has been edited by 16point (edited 02-22-2002).]

Well it's takin me longer than 2 weeks to sight mine in, way longer but maybe i'm not strong with muscles yet and i'm shaky. but i will try what you said. thanks for the tips.

no prob! if u have anymore questions for me let me know i'll be glag to help? and remember to hold ur release in the same spot.

cityhick87, I agree with 16point and kelcher, consistency is the key. I see you are from Des Moines. If you don't get the problem solved I suggest you to go one or both of the archery shops/shooting ranges in town. Unfortunately there are many things that can cause inconsistency and you may need help. There are guys at both shops that do lots of shooting and have been at it for a long time. I'd hate to see you get frustrated and possibly give up when help is so close.

Yeah i agree i like going to central iowa archer ,where i bought the bow the guys there are nice. I like shooting my bow to much to quit. I haven't gone hunting with it yet but hopefully i will for turkey.

Have you ever used Judo points for turkey? Do they work?

thanks for the advice

What I do to get the same anchor point every time is to put the vane on my arrow right in the corner of my lips. Then I move my peep sight to the hieght I need to. It works for me. I just got a new HavocTec, and the day after I got it there was a 3D shoot, so I had less than an hour to sight it in. It took me about 9 arrows and my 20 yrd pin was set(good enough for then). Then after getting the first one set the rest of them is just a matter of raising or lowering them. 30 yrd pin took about 6 arrows. Havent got to 40 yrds yet. But you know what? I beat all 4 guys that went to the shoot with me.254 out of 280.Im was lucky there wasnt any shots longer than 35 yrds. After the shoot I just did some fine tuning to get the pins perfect. Well I stop blabbing on now. Hope this helps!!
BowHunt'nFool

[This message has been edited by BowHunt'nFool (edited 02-22-2002).]

yeah it helps i'm just frustrated i feel like man i'm never going to get this i want to do a 3-d shoot this month so bad. I think i'm going tommorow.right now i only have three arrows i messed up 3 of them the first time i used them. i have the beman ventures. I shoot a target in my back yard. Its hard sighting in my bow with 3 arrows though so maybe it will be easier with the 6 of them. thanks

I also cant tell if i'm holding my bow right like if i'm moving the string right or left of the bow, make the string swing in a send the arrow sideways. Is there a point to look at to line it up straight with the rest of the bow? Does a stabalizer help you a lot?

[This message has been edited by cityhick87 (edited 02-22-2002).]

Something else that you may want to try, try backing off your pull weight just a little, slowly strengthen your back and shoulder muscles. After learning to use the proper back tension you will be able to hold longer and steadier, then slowly crank up the weight. Remember it is better to shoot 2 excellent arrows then it is to shoot 30 bad arrows. Keep shooting a liitle at a time, when it gets frusterating put it up for a couple of hours.

Bow hunt'n fool, on my old bow i used to put the vane in the corner of my mouth, but i didnt have a peepsight.I used the vane as a make shift kisser and i got better accuracy.

are you using a wrist support? If you are thats great, they keep you from torqing the bow. Another thing is dont grip the handle when you draw back, just pull back and open your hand(just keep your hand relaxed) This will keep you from tweeking the bow while the arrow is being released. The wrist support will keep the bow from falling to the ground after you release also. Talk to you later!!

If you have only started shooting a bow 4-5 months ago it's probably a matter of just needing to practice practice and practice some more. =) Consistency comes with time and patience, don't give up and keep at it, you'll get it all figured out.

You also mentioned using judo points on turkeys, I'm not sure of the legality on using judos, I think if you use a blunt tipped point it has to be a certain diameter. IF they are legal they'd be okay for head shots only. Personally I'd use a rubber blunt or else a broadhead. I use Muzzy's and I've heard good things about expandable blades like Rocket for birds.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom