Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soil PH and Trees

KSQ2

PMA Member
How much negative affect does low ph levels have on tree plantings? We won't be liming 'til next year; should we wait to begin planting trees or go ahead and begin this fall? We'll be planting some hybred fruit trees and oaks I'm looking at from Morses Nursery up in MI. Also, is there an easier way to correct ph for tree plantings in places we weren't planning on liming?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSQ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much negative affect does low ph levels have on tree plantings? We won't be liming 'til next year; should we wait to begin planting trees or go ahead and begin this fall? We'll be planting some hybred fruit trees and oaks I'm looking at from Morses Nursery up in MI. Also, is there an easier way to correct ph for tree plantings in places we weren't planning on liming? </div></div>

Apple trees prefer a soil ph near 6.5 but you could correct that easily by incorporating some pellet lime in the spots you intend to plant the trees.

I would do it this fall to give it time to correct the ph level ahead of planting. If your planting hundreds of trees of course then bulk applications would be needed.

I wouldn't worry about the oaks etc.

On another note...I don't know personally, but I have read many reports of very unhappy Morse customers.

Most including myself have been 100% satisfied with fruit trees from Adams County Nursery (see the Apple and Pear thread in the food plot links) and Okios Tree crops for hybrid oaks (listed in the tree planting thread.)

Those two are very dependable sources of quality trees.

If you decide to go with Morse, let us know how the seedlings do /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do it this fall to give it time to correct the ph level ahead of planting. </div></div>

Were you referring to liming this fall and planting next fall? I'm only thinking of planting 10 to 15 fruit trees, so would your suggestion be to flag each spot and lime how big a diameter around the flag?

BTW, thanks for the nursery heads up, I'll check out the places you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSQ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would do it this fall to give it time to correct the ph level ahead of planting. </div></div>

Were you referring to liming this fall and planting next fall? I'm only thinking of planting 10 to 15 fruit trees, so would your suggestion be to flag each spot and lime how big a diameter around the flag?

</div></div>

Lime this fall/winter...plant next spring was my thoughts...

here is a little info on the subject but yes...flag the spots, lime, apply herbicide etc. this fall, plant next spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before planting, prepare the soil thoroughly by plowing or spading followed by disking or raking to smooth the surface. If you have not adjusted the soil pH to 6.5 previously, liming should be done before you prepare the soil so that the lime will be incorporated. When added to the surface and not plowed in, lime takes years to move down into the soil. Lime an area 10' by 10' where each tree will be planted. Similar to lime, phosphorus moves down through the soil slowly and thus should be incorporated, based on soil test results, along with lime before planting. During planting, dig holes large enough to receive the roots freely without cramping or bending from their natural position. Before planting, cut off all broken or mutilated parts of roots with a sharp knife or pruning shears. Keep root pruning to a minimum. Set the plants at the same depth they grew in the nursery. Work soil in and around the roots. When the hole is half filled, firm the soil with your feet before you finish filling the hole. When the hole is filled, pack the soil firmly. Do not leave a depression around the tree. Also, do not place fertilizer in the planting hole or fertilize immediately after planting. This should only be done after the soil is settled by a drenching rain. When the planting is completed, the graft union should be at least 2 inches above the soil line.

</div></div>

Top Bottom