Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soil test results

interesting info in this thread. Is it worth the cost/time/effort in your guys opinion to put some gyp on this plot? Clover in it looks really good, it’s being utilized by the deer big time. Im due to get my soil tests updated and I’ll be using the local coop this time as you can tell the whitetail inst. report is fairly basic and doesn’t show sulfur. Thoughts?

Yes! All legumes benefit from sulfur. Sulfur is required to produce elevated protein levels in all crops, including clover. Most clovers require about 2# S per ton of yield. Can get anywhere from 1-4 tons / acre on a clover plot each year.

Depending on your soil fertility it may not be a yield limiter, but it can be.

- 4 ton yield x 2# / ton = 8# sulfur required per acre. 50# bag per acre of Gypsum or Calcium Sulfate (21% Ca / 17% S) = 8.5# S / Acre. Most come pelletized, easy to spread. (Although the pellets tend to break down easily, making somewhat of a mess of your clothes if you attempt with a shoulder spreader).

So, for roughly $7 / acre you can (potentially) increase your yield, and increase the crude protein levels in your plot :D

FYI, it is rather mobile in soil, so something that must be spread annually. Even in higher CEC soils..

**Sulfur availability from our atmosphere, has diminished over time. Interesting study below:

1711934862093.png

Last edited:
Yes! All legumes benefit from sulfur. Sulfur is required to produce elevated protein levels in all crops, including clover. Most clovers require about 2# S per ton of yield. Can get anywhere from 1-4 tons / acre on a clover plot each year.

Depending on your soil fertility it may not be a yield limiter, but it can be.

- 4 ton yield x 2# / ton = 8# sulfur required per acre. 50# bag per acre of Gypsum or Calcium Sulfate (21% Ca / 17% S) = 8.5# S / Acre. Most come pelletized, easy to spread. (Although the pellets tend to break down easily, making somewhat of a mess of your clothes if you attempt with a shoulder spreader).

So, for roughly $7 / acre you can (potentially) increase your yield, and increase the crude protein levels in your plot :D

FYI, it is rather mobile in soil, so something that must be spread annually. Even in higher CEC soils..

**Sulfur availability from our atmosphere, has diminished over time. Interesting study below:

View attachment 127176
I’m trying to follow along haha, but have to admit it’s over my head. So when you talk about increasing yield in my clover plots where there’s always lush clover (the deer never come close to eating it all) and I’m not harvesting/selling anything…what real benefit is there of increased yield? The protein angle seems to make sense to me although I’m wondering about different things I’ve read where deer can only process so much protein or something along those lines and for all I know my current clover plot is delivering close to or all of that protein level that a deer can use anyway? Is that possible or definitely not?

I’m trying to follow along haha, but have to admit it’s over my head. So when you talk about increasing yield in my clover plots where there’s always lush clover (the deer never come close to eating it all) and I’m not harvesting/selling anything…what real benefit is there of increased yield? The protein angle seems to make sense to me although I’m wondering about different things I’ve read where deer can only process so much protein or something along those lines and for all I know my current clover plot is delivering close to or all of that protein level that a deer can use anyway? Is that possible or definitely not?

If your plots stay ahead of your deer, then I would tend to agree. However, it is still key in the production of plant protein, a necessary and very beneficial nutrient for all crops. Obviously key in body development, milk production in deer.

As for how much protein a deer can handle, I'm not certain. Perhaps more qualified members could chime in on this one.. :)

All my plots got sulfur this year.
I took soil samples off KS farm…
I mixed up a cart with 45 lbs phosphorus, 200 potassium, I think 20 sulfur. & then some lime as needed and all the micros…. Zinc, boron & manganese. All are big- boron is a huge one u need to address!!!!
Soil tests are usually “oh, I’ll skip it”. In today’s world with massive micro deficiencies & the NEW sulfur deficiencies - it’s crazy not to. I’ll make this simple…. Macros are common (p&k) but sulfur, micros & lime & sometimes use of gypsum is critical!!! Take the time to get soil tests and I’ll bet u that u will need many micros and I bet u will need more or less of p&k than u expected.
I had a helper last week so I sent him to get a cart mixed up. We got it all in there.

IMG_8825.jpeg

All my plots got sulfur this year.
I took soil samples off KS farm…
I mixed up a cart with 45 lbs phosphorus, 200 potassium, I think 20 sulfur. & then some lime as needed and all the micros…. Zinc, boron & manganese. All are big- boron is a huge one u need to address!!!!
Soil tests are usually “oh, I’ll skip it”. In today’s world with massive micro deficiencies & the NEW sulfur deficiencies - it’s crazy not to. I’ll make this simple…. Macros are common (p&k) but sulfur, micros & lime & sometimes use of gypsum is critical!!! Take the time to get soil tests and I’ll bet u that u will need many micros and I bet u will need more or less of p&k than u expected.
I had a helper last week so I sent him to get a cart mixed up. We got it all in there.

View attachment 127177
So skip it looks like you have 9 different plots on the report. You spread 20lbs of sulfur across those 9 different plots? What is the 1 to 2 of copper? 2 of zinc? Just trying to understand what you did here.

So skip it looks like you have 9 different plots on the report. You spread 20lbs of sulfur across those 9 different plots? What is the 1 to 2 of copper? 2 of zinc? Just trying to understand what you did here.
20 lbs of sulfur per acre. It’s all: ACTUAL & per acre on every nutrient.

The info shared in this thread (and others like it) is very helpful for a guy who is new to doing soil tests and adding inputs to help the soil. I recently had two simple tests done by Ward Labs on a couple small (< 1 acre) plots. Plot 1 is going to be planted to Alfa-Rack Plus, Plot 2 is going to be planted to Real World Wildlife Clover/Chicory. Mainly using these as a test to see which perennial does better in south central NE where we can experience hot/dry summers often.

I'm interested in hearing how you guys interpret these results and what your first steps would be based on the planned crops for each of these small plots. Thanks.

1712597122120.png

1712597139797.png

This is getting into somewhat of a deep dive, but I think its important to note there are two different schools of thought when it comes to assessing soil for growth potential.

One is strictly reading the soil test, and just addressing the levels of nutrients to reach sufficient needs for crop growth. This is "good enough" for most, and what many farmers use, and have used for years.

The second is addressing the soil structure first (Albrecht/Kinsey method), before addressing nutrient sufficiency. The benefits are the right physical structure, to get the best soil architecture for tilth, water absorption and biological growth. What most (I personally believe) fail to realize, is that while trying to get the right nutrient sufficiency or "enough of each" of each nutrient, they are essentially chasing soil structure or soil balance (refer to the thanksgiving plate example), without realizing it.

Lets walk down that path for a minute.. If you work in reverse, and address sufficiency first, you will either a) keep throwing money at your soil trying to get results, or b) will get there unintentionally, or accidentally. Many times the "results" may be good enough for most, so they never bother to correct their soil structure first.

Ultra simplified:

1) Get your calcium to 60% BS, minimum. Ideal soil has Calcium BS between 60% and 70%.
2) Get your magnesium between 10% and 20%.
3) Address your potassium (P) and (S) levels. These 6 (Ca, Mg, N, P, K & S) are your macro (turkey, potatoes on the plate) level nutrients in the soil. Ideal K levels are 3% - 5% from what I recall..
4) Address your micro (salt, pepper on the plate) levels.

Now addressing the issue at hand, there are ways to increase or decrease the levels of any of the macro level nutrients.

1) Short on Ca? Add high Ca Lime (As Skip suggested earlier).
2) Excess of Ca? N or S can remove.
3) Short on Mg? Add a Mg source.
4) Excess of Mg? S can remove (only when Ca BS > 60%).

@RepCity_BK - Reading your Test Results:

Soil Test #1:
- Ca is a touch high (above 80%), which is pushing your pH above 7.0. This also indicates slightly porous soil which would tend to not hold moisture as well (not so great if you're already limited on rainfall) as a more ideal soil structure.
- "Fertilizer" would reduce Ca (and therefore pH) somewhat. P & K to the least extent, followed by most N sources, followed by Ammonia sources of N as the most acidifying. The most acidifying sources are ammonia based - NH3 (knifed into ground), AMS (Ammonia Sulfate) or Ammonia Nitrate. Urea less so. Followed by P&K additions last. Physically nitrogen drops calcium out of the soil, delivering the chemical (lower pH) result.
- However you have the conundrum of wanting to use Nitrogen on a legume plot. May consider something with a higher N demand before switching back to a legume.

Soil Test #2:
- Mg is on the high range, but not terrible. Definitely driving your pH up. (Recall Mg drives up pH 1.7X what Ca will).
- Elemental S, or higher rates of gypsum could help drive some Mg out of the soil.

For food plotting purposes, you have great soil in plot #1. Anything you plant should flourish. Plot #2 pH is getting a touch high. You may not ever notice the P, Mn and Fe deficiencies unless you pulled some samples and did a tissue analysis..

1712601148783.png

BUT - You're really tweaking at this point.. A LOT of people have grown great rye and clover plots with less than you have!! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom