Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Some thoughts about the hunting community

smokepole

If they are opening an early handgun season and people here are supporting it, then why is there so much opposition on this site to the crossbow season that is being proposed? I am not sure, but I think that it would be more challenge with a crossbow than a handgun. Not that I am an expert on either method of hunting, but I have seen some handguns on some hunting shows that are short barreled centerfire actions mounted on handgun stocks. I am not taking a side here, but I think that more opportunties for people to hunt the better. We should not, as hunters, be judgemental about the method used. Too many people out there think that a certain time of year is theirs in the woods, but do not realize that hunting is a priveledge and not a right. Hunters need to stand together and not be segregated as bow hunters, shotgunners, or handgunners. If you look at a recent petition against Jeep, I am sure that there were people on their that used every means of hunting available. If the Iowa Blackpowder Federation and the Iowa Bowhunters fight something to restricted from use, what is next? Are they going to fight against in-lines? If you are laughing, it has happened before in Colorado. The limited the ML season to flinlocks only. All the anti's need is a crack in the wall. I just have a hard time with some of the posts on this site and others where people think that there method of hunting is better than the other. It is not to say that people are not entitled to their opinion, but we all need to keep the big picture in mind.

Some clarification concerning handgun hunting in Iowa....Must be a straight wall pistol cartridge, .357 or larger and must be used in a firearm with at least a 6" barrel. Ballistic wise, these compare with Blackpowder rifle ballistics.

Centerfire "necked" rifle cartidges are not allowed in Iowa.

Fact: the inline rifle design has been around since the 1700's....Tony Knight brought it back in 1985 with some refinements...

All hunters together are like a big family.You can pick on your brother,but,just let somebody thats not in the family try to pick on them and see what happens.(jeep ad).

I haven't heard anything about an early handgun season. Currently a handgun is legal during the two shotgun deer seasons and the late muzzleloader season.

As mentioned above most high powered rifle cartridges are illegal because of the DNR's straight walled cartridge restriction and that was the intent. We had a firearms instructor meeting last week in Ames and it was brought up during break talk that a list of acceptable cartridges will be coming out which will do away from the straight wall terminology. What will be on the list I presently have no idea.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom