Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sorry, Another Question for Blind Sow

S

Slim

What are the legal requirements for a landowner tag. I don't farm to sell crop. My concern is Have been putting in food plots for deer and trying to manage our local heard in the area. For the work I put in for these deer, I feel like I should be entitled to a landowner tag. Is this up to the county dnr officer's discretion, who can obtain them? Thanks!

Slim

While on the question side, if you dont mind,

I just wanted to know, Spot lighting is legal right?? and what are the requirements you have to meet if you do go out spotlighting?

BowHunter84 ;

Yes, I was told spotlighting is legal. The DNR officer told me ( NO weapons of any kind on your person or in your vehicle!!!) If that helps you. Al

It is not up to the discretion of any individual DNR officer to make the determination. The answers to both questions is spelled out in either the deer/turkey application booklet on page 12 (landowner/tenant licences) or the hunting, fishing and trapping regulation booklet (spotlighting) on page 11.

Landowner/tenant licences

Iowa residents who are owners or tenants of a farm unit, or a family member of an owner or tenant that lives with them, are eligible for a free deer and a free fall turkey hunting license.

"Family member" means a resident of Iowa who is the spouse or child of the owner or tenatn and who resides with the owner or tenant.

"Farm unit" means all parcels of land, not necessarily contiguous, which are operated as a unit for agricultural purposes and are under the lawful control of the owner or tenant, regardless of how that land is subdivided for agricultural or business purposes. An owner cannot receive a free license on one parcel of land and a family member on another, even if the parcels are separate business operations.

It goes into more detail. Just get a copy and read everything on page 12.

Spotlighting

You can't cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight or other artificial light on a highway or in a field, woodland or forest for the purpose of spotting, locating, taking or attempting to take or hunt a bird or animal, while having in possession or control, either singly or as one of a group of persons, any firearm, bow or other device capable of killing or taking a bird or animal. This rule does not apply to hunting raccoons or other furbearing animals when they are treed with the aid of dogs.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Blind Sow - thanks for your continued input on this forum, it is helpful and appreciated.

Related to spotlighting... can a person spotlight someone elses' property without their permission? Two different times this year I had the field I was hunting in spotlighted while I was still in the vicinity. The first time I was at my truck across the road when the other vehicle pulled up and spotlighted the field I had just walked through. As far as I could tell, they never knew I was there. They scanned the field quickly and then jetted out of there. One was left with the impression that this wasn't the first time they had shined tihs field.

The second time I was still in my stand on the edge of the field about 200 yards from the road and there were deer around me when the beam flashed back and forth across the field in front of me and stopped briefly on the various deer. Quite frankly, it made me nervous to think some punk could potentially pull out the "high power" and never know I was there, etc.

This activity is unwelcome by the landowner and by me the hunter, but I am not sure if we have any standing to prevent it. Of course, I can't say for sure the shiners had a weapon, but we do have reason to be suspicious after finding a couple of dead deer with their heads cut off this year in the general area where this occurred.

Any ideas...

Top Bottom