Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota Turkeys

Jethro

Me and a buddy from work are going to try our luck in S.D. hunting turkeys this spring. We are going to hunt the Rosebud Indian Reservation in the south central part of the state. Have any of you guys ever hunted up there before or the state of S.D.? This is our first year going up there so we are a little green. We have heard lots of good things about the S.D. turks. Any one who has any info or tips for us we'll take it.

If you are coming out that far then why don't you just hunt the Black Hills? I currently live in Rapid City and there is some great turkey hunting in the hills. Be careful out at Rosebud. It is one of the poorest counties in all of the US and the crime rate is very high. (Secure your hubcaps) You will have the opportunity to shoot some prairie dogs also if you would like. On top of the fees for the state you also have to pay the Reservation. Not trying to discourage you, but there are much better places in SD to hunt. Just my opinion...

Jethro,
Me and a couple friend's had also thought about hunting rosebud and talked to a guy out there that rent's cabin's and semi guide's.We had a very tuff time trying to contact the indians about our tag's that we would need and finally just decided to scrap that idea.We also talked to some people about hunting in the black hill's and heard the same stuff,that we would be better off hunting there.We still have not made the trip out but if I were going to go I would probably go to the black hill's myself.
Are you from Boone,that is were I'm from and just wanted to let ya know that we have a NWTF banquet coming up April 5th in Boone if you would be interested,lot's of fun and it's for a good cause.

Jethro,
We have been hunting the Black Hills for about six years now and I would also recommend the Hills. The Hills are beautiful and there are plenty of turkeys for everyone. There is just something about hunting out there that gets in your blood and if you see a "cat" may be a some gets in your pants... I have never seen one.

I have also talked to more than a few people about Rosebud including the people on the res. and didn't get a good feeling. They make their own rules there, have there own jail and I think the liscense fees are close to the same. I am pretty sure you don't have to pay any state fees though, at least that is what I was told by the guy that helped me out in Pierre. The reservations are a seperate entity. I am also not trying to discourage you however speaking from experience I know you can have a ball in the Hills.
grin.gif

Good Luck and if you go don't forget the camera!

Guys thank you for all your comments and advice. After reading your posts and talking to some other people last night we decided to go to the hills like you said. Have you guys had good sucess out there in the past. Most of the other people i talked to that have been out there said it was incredible hunting. Great scenary and the birds gobble all day long. Is that true? Once thanks for your input.

JETHRO,
I guess my advice would be to not go out there the first tiime with great hopes it is a big area and can take a couple of days to find birds. Yes there are a good population of birds but a lot can depend on the weather. If you hit it right it can be great if you don't it can be tough goin. Yes, for the most part you can get birds to gobble all day. Merriams unlike some Easterns are loud mouths. They will gobble and gobble and gobble but all the while they can be going away from you and they travel fast. That can be good and bad. When they hit the ground off the roost they are off to the races.

It has also been my experience that roosting birds is important. Here in Iowa you usually know within a hundred yards or so where birds are going to roost. In the hills they may be one place one morning and a mile away the next. Take locater calls and be creative. It is challenging but at the same time can be very rewarding. If you click on my webpage button you will see some pics from out there. In 2001 my buddy and I shot those two birds about two hours apart with in a mile of each other. In 2002 we didn't hit the weather right and had a chance (my barrel had to be bent!!!) at one the first day which happend to be the best weather and didn't hear another gobble the rest of the trip. Snow moved in and we left early. That's hunting in the hills. But I would say over all we have had great trips The last two have been the best and the worst.

If you have a GPS I would definately take it and mark roost sites and trails and start to create a data base of locations that are good so if you go out there again you will have a place to start. If you don't get a forestry map from Custer and mark it up.

We have also talked about taking mountain bikes out there to cover ground. Haven't yet but it is on the radar.

Good luck and keep firing questions. Will be happy to answer them if possible.

Hey Limb Chicken, if you go again this year,and have success. I would like to
get the skin from you. I nice white tipped merriam are always so beautiful.
You know where Im at. Stuffy.

stuffy,
Going to Nebraska (archery) for sure and can't decide if we are going to Kansas or South Dakota. Most likely we will go back to the hills again. We are kinda hooked on em now! No Problem on the skin we usually pluck em but I could skin one for ya. Will keep you posted. Have to find some of that barrel straightner first.
grin.gif

Limb, My gosh you sure do get to travel and hunt alot.!! You must have one great understanding
wife, even with a young'n . Arent those Lone Tree women just the best !!! Sorry, I got off the
subject.

Top Bottom