Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southeast Area Members - please read

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

River1

I'd just like to establish a little better communication with our members in SE Iowa. In Camanche (Clinton County) I fall at the very Northern boarder of the area I represent.
I don't do much traveling or hunting down past Scott County. The Southern Countys seem to be a hotbed for some of our issues and I don't get to experience those areas much. If anyone in my area has concerns you'd like expressed to the IBA Board or just general information about hunting in your area you'd like expressed in the Bowhunter, please contact me. Though my phone number is listed on the IBA website, I rarely get contacted.

Feel free to contact me anytime. My email is not listed on the IBA site so here ya go.

[email protected]
563-259-9164

I feel we are going to have a tough legislative session with the Governor's Deer Committee in action. Please stay proactive.

Mike Robertson
IBA SE Area Representative

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Southern Countys seem to be a hotbed for some of our issues </div></div>

That they are, thanks for bringing attention to it and offering your contact info Mike. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

As a landowner in SE Iowa, I'm not as affected as those who just enjoy hunting in the area.

Each of my farms is surrounded by roughly 2000-3000 acres of ground that has been purchased for "recreational puposes" by both residents and non-residents.

One local business owner is completing transactions at the moment to add hundreds more acres to what he already owns. (At $2900 to 3000 an acre I might add...)

Not a thing wrong with that, every single one of us would do the same if we could. These lands however all become offlimits to everyday hunters and few if any antlerless deer get taken from these large tracts.

Deer numbers of course skyrocket, they cross into farm fields getting killed on the road and in doing so, succeed in infuritating farmers and autowners.

This sends a shockwave all the way to the capitol where the clamor to "kill more deer" then escalates.

This leads to more types of seasons, longer seasons, calls for more depradation permits, calls for more NR licenses...NONE of which will ever change or correct the problem.

No one can stop this ever changing land ownership, nor can the blame be placed on any one in particular.

I can only encourage IBA reps to educate our legislators to be aware that Iowa land onwership has, is and will continue to change and this will in turn affect our IDNR's ability to manage deer in those areas.

Awarness...but beyond that I don't have any realistic answers to dealing with problem areas that everyone else in the state ends up paying for... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom