Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spoiled Deer

B

BrunoBuck

Hey guys I am looking for some advice or facts on what to do about a deer a friend of mine shot last saturday. He was muzzeload hunting and shot a pretty nice buck and when he went to field dress it he noticed it had a growth on one of his backstraps about the size of a large cucumber on it, it was white and hard, he then started checking the deer over more closely and noticed it had a slug hole in its right rear leg in which pus was ozing out of it. I told him not to eat it, throw it away and get the DNR to see if they would issue him another tag to kill a deer he could eat.

P.S. He had already tagged it before I saw it.

Slug hole HUH! Well guess what BUB I shot a buck this year with a broad head stuck in his front left shoulder. I guess shit happens both ways!HUH BUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shotgun hunting or bow hunting deer get wounded either way. I guess you are one of those hunter's that has never wounded a deer, YEAH RIGHT!

Oh boy, here we go again.

Actually that is a very good question, because of the number of hunters in the field these days it is bound to come up more often.

I have never had a severe case where I ever had any question about a harvest. My gun deer last year has a clean, fresh slug hole through the neck meat. I seen no problem with it. I have seen others with healed wounds with .22 cal bullets in them, shotgun pellets etc...

My Dad shot a nice buck during archery season years ago that had a puss pocket in it's back that had a wood screw inside of it. (How did that get in there?)

In all my cases the deer have been healthy looking and tasted just fine. But the people on the scene have to make the call. I would be inclined to just remove the immediate area and keep it unless it really aroused some suspicion with it's behavior or smell etc..

Any meat experts or butchers out there, this has to be something that butchers see periodically.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-27-2001).]

Last year i shot a doe the last day with my muzzleloader.She had a bullet hole way up high on her back that had actually knicked her spine and cut a groove through the backstraps.I also just cut off the meat around the hole, made sure i got all the bone chips out, and kept the rest.If it dont smell bad the whole deer probably isnt a waste anyway.

I doubt if the entire deer would have been bad, but it would be hard to get that picture out of your mind everytime you took a bite.

For what it may be worth :
When I worked in a locker, once in a while we would get injured animals or sometimes a cow had problems while calfing etc. Anyway, after it was butchered we would usually call the local vet who would check over the carcass. He claimed that as long as it smelled good and the fat was not turning yellow and slimy (inside around the kidneys) that meant the animal wasn't feverish or gange green and it was safe for consumption, but we always disgarded the heart, liver etc. You would be amazed at the number of supposedly healthy hogs and beef that lockers get with black lungs, puss pockets, large cysts etc. We always just cut around the bad spots.

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 12-27-2001).]

How about it "Blind Sow" what do you think should he get another tag (or even a Doe tag) or not?

The DNR doesn't give out additional tags if the meat, for whatever reason, ends up being bad.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom