Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

spooked a buck now what??

joebell

I alerted a nice 8pt to my presence this evening right at dark. I was drawing on him when he caught my scent (I think) and them looked up and saw my movement. He bolted about twenty yards and started blowing...loud. He would run several yards stop and do it again. He did it about three times. What have I done to my hunting area?? Should I stay out for a while? Go right back? Will this buck (by far the biggest I've seen on the farm) steer clear of the area? I'm a little ticked at myself, I should have had him before he got me
madgo_ron.gif

I guess I'll hope for another chance
wstupid.gif

Thanks in advance for your help
JB

well i think you blew that stand but i doubt if he left the area but if you want to kill that buck you need to move your stand or put up another one good luck

Joebell,

I honestly do not think that he smelled you or he would have never stuck around.... he spotted you and was unable to figure out exactly what you were. Deer will second guess their eyesight but never their nose....... change stand locations, the buck will still be around on the farm when he is not travelling across adjacent farms in search of does.

Cornfed-
I think you may be right, the more I think about it ... my scent control should be very good and I think he just caught me drawing. I really can't move my stand, I am sitting in a group of ten trees in a narrow section of old pasture between two patches of national preserve timber. This is the first year I have hunted this area and it has been amazing. I saved the area for the rut and I have only hunted it five times, I have seen over 50 deer in these five two hour sits. I guess I am hoping the deer I spooked is not the biggest deer I see out of this stand. What are the chances this bucks blowing alerted other deer in the area to my whereabouts? Will this keep other deer away? Thanks Again...
JB

I would continue to hunt the stand either way since you haven't much choice on your relocating it. I doubt you spooked more deer since he never knew what you were and they have no idea. This time of year anything can and does happen in a matter of minutes and it sounds like a good funnel for bucks traveling in search of does. Draw sooner next time.
wink.gif

G6

G6,
To be honest with ya, I thought he was a smaller buck I had seen a couple of nights earlier about the same time. It was dark enough that I couldn't see his rack until he was right on top of me....and I was a little in-decisive as well...I'm going back tomorrow night and I guess we will see what happens..
Thanks again guys
JB
rambo.gif

Top Bottom