Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

spooking deer

G

I am currently having trouble getting to a blind of mine without spooking deer. In Sask we are allowed to bait and in turn I have a pile of crabapples and peas behind my house, about 200 yards away. My property is on the west end of a huge block of forest and to the east is an oat field and an alfalfa field, The deer feed out there all night and come back in at daybreak to the security of the woods. My blind is right in the corner funnel and every time I go there I seem to spook deer off of the bait. This morning when I went there, right at daybreak I ran what sounded like a few deer off again. I continued in 50 yards to the edge of the field and there were lots of deer, undisturbed making their way towards me. Is there any way I can get here in the a.m before they do? They don't seem to be coming out until dark.

Are you hunting near the open or back in the timber?

How is the hunting without the bait?

I bump deer fairly often where I hunt regardless of the time of day. It is just a detriment of having a good place to hunt. It does not cause me any concern.

I generally try not to hunt on open fields, as I prefer to be back in the timber a bit.

I don't have any experience hunting around a set bait. Here they eat everything.

If I was faced with an unsolvable spooking situation with a particular setup, I would either move my setup a bit or find a way to stay overnight
smile.gif

Good Luck!

I would try heading out 2hrs before sunrise and see if that helps.I like to sit in my stand 1hr before sunrise if possible to let the area cool down after i walk thru.

Top Bottom