Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sprayer recommendations

Daver

PMA Member
I have an ATV mounted sprayer that is fair in terms of usefulness, but I would like to expand my spraying reach, so I am considering getting a 3 point sprayer. I am thinking of something in the 50-60 gallon range.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or warnings, on such a sprayer?

I have fimco so I'm going to bash myself - I hate anything fimco. Every product I've ever used that they make (unfortunately I have 3 of their sprayers and a spreader) is junk IMO. Falls apart- it's the "budget" cheap crap the big stores can sell the cheapest. Every product they make reminds me of the McDonalds happy meal toys made in China that break after 5 minutes. I have them and I don't use them except for one I totally refabricated at a welding shop by the best welder and machine maker I know. He laughed how bad it was. Sorry on rant- just really bad and wasted a lot of time on that garbage over the years.
If it were me- I'd buy a good quality used sprayer that's built a lot more solid. I have a Hardi 1000 gallon but of course that's not needed. They make amazing stuff along with most other companies like sprayer specialities. I know companies like SS make utv sprayers. I strongly prefer tractor sprayers for millions of reasons (one example of many: u cannot run any "thick" or sticky herbicide such as atrazine thru electric motor sprayers). But-utv, I'd start with SS & also stop by Deere dealer cause one by me is carrying a new line that looks good from what I saw. Strongly against fimco unless u get it for free or find one in the bottom of ur happy meal. ;)

I have fimco so I'm going to bash myself - I hate anything fimco. Every product I've ever used that they make (unfortunately I have 3 of their sprayers and a spreader) is junk IMO. Falls apart- it's the "budget" cheap crap the big stores can sell the cheapest. Every product they make reminds me of the McDonalds happy meal toys made in China that break after 5 minutes. I have them and I don't use them except for one I totally refabricated at a welding shop by the best welder and machine maker I know. He laughed how bad it was. Sorry on rant- just really bad and wasted a lot of time on that garbage over the years.
If it were me- I'd buy a good quality used sprayer that's built a lot more solid. I have a Hardi 1000 gallon but of course that's not needed. They make amazing stuff along with most other companies like sprayer specialities. I know companies like SS make utv sprayers. I strongly prefer tractor sprayers for millions of reasons (one example of many: u cannot run any "thick" or sticky herbicide such as atrazine thru electric motor sprayers). But-utv, I'd start with SS & also stop by Deere dealer cause one by me is carrying a new line that looks good from what I saw. Strongly against fimco unless u get it for free or find one in the bottom of ur happy meal. ;)

I agree Fimco is the budget brand, but I do know that my 55 gal Fimco was a huge upgrade over the small pull behind crap I used in another life. For the small timers like me that are doing sub 20 acres a year it seems to be fine as it doesn't see much abuse. Clean it, put it inside, and it works like a charm the next time (so far for 6 years). The thing that was lacking in the original question was budget. So Daver, if you can afford something nicer, hell yeah there are a lot of better ones out there. For now, a happy meal fills me up. Maybe when I get bigger I will upgrade to a big mac. :)

Good call above. Budget is huge of course! I think the unit at the john Deere shop for UTV was like a grand roughly? It was really nice from glancing over it but really digging into it may be different? I'd check. I think my fimco utv sprayer (big, like 60-80 gallons I think) was still maybe 600-800?
Another option- Deere makes some sweet driveable sprayers that are only like $140,000-200,000. :)

I would agree with all above that fimco is the bubget sprayer. I had one myself but have since went to Sprayer Specialties and have the 50 gal. model that goes into the back of the utv with the boom that goes in the
receiver hitch (mine has 10' boom that folds up to about 4'). It comes on a steel skid with a decent hand wand, pressure gauge, manual flow regulator and higher capacity electric pump with a steel casing, much better than the ones at the box stores. It has a recirculation line for spraying those products that can settle out and a quick tatch coupler and valves so I can pull water from creeks or ponds with the electric pump to fill the product tank wherever I am spraying. I have been very happy with it so far (have had for 3 years). I think it was a little under a $1000 at the time. I am sure they also would make 3-point models and larger booms since they put together in house or maybe even get one you could use in atv and attach to a 3-point cradle of some sort to make it a convertible unit? I would definitely recommend going with quality if $$$ permits.

Top Bottom