Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Srape/Rub Line??

T

Turkey River

Went scouting today and found a scrape/rubline located in the same place as the past two years. The scrape/rub line consists of approximately 10 scrapes and 3 rubs and runs along a small wooded creek valley located between a CRP field and a corn field. How close should I set up to the scrape line? The valley is probably only 30-40 yards wide. Should I hunt this area now or wait until the rut?
Last year on this scrape line I saw a nice size buck, but the buck didn't cooperate.

If it were me, I think I'd wait about two weeks. If its a mature buck that's making the scrapes and rub line, he's probably not doing it in daylight hours yet. Hunting him now might screw things up for you down the road. I don't usually see many mature bucks moving around during hunting hours until the last week of October.
Just my two cents worth, good luck to you though. Make sure you post a picture after you get him!!

Depends partly on how 'clean' you can keep the area in terms of the buck not figuring out you've been there. Not only watch where your scent is blowing while hunting but you don't want him finding your walk in trail a half hour after you left at dark. I'd be watching it starting about October 25 if the weather stays cool. I think bucks are easiest to pattern in late October and the first week in November. By rut, November 11-16, I figure all bets are off and the big guys can be anywhere.

Good hunting!
Old Buck

Top Bottom