Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Staying Warm

I tried the IWOM two years ago. It was noisy and the colder it got the worse it was. Outside of that it was phenomenal , I sat in a December all day downpour and stayed dry and warm! Gray Wolf Woolens needs to make something similar it would be the phenomenal! I would give up the waterproof part for a less noisy version. My days of sitting in the rain have ended....I hope.

Last edited:
I like the Heater Body Suit as well. I only pull it out for the very cold days but it is pretty easy to function in and can take you into the sub-zeros with out an issues. The MT 250 is my next step up. I just don't struggle to much but own several options to adjust with the extremes.

My wife bought me the Gerbing heated vest for XMas a couple of years ago and I've used it several times while ice fishing and hunting late season. It's a valuable tool to have in the arsenal - I recommend it.

Battery life is a concern - I bought an extra battery and a charger for my truck which helps keep a fresh battery on hand.

One quirk with this vest is that it needs to be your second or third layer for you to really feel the heat. However, the battery is in the vest pocket so you end up digging thru your layers to turn it on/off or adjust the heat level. Not a showstopper, but something you just have to deal with.

It's worth that minor hassle - I don't turn the heat on until I've sat a while and maybe even begun to feel a little chill, but when I do Oh Boy is that nice to feel the warmth. It has 5 coils - 2 in front by your collarbones, one between your shoulder blades and one on each of your kidney areas.

I was in my ladderstand up here in Houghton Co Sunday morning with the windchill below zero. I pulled out everything in my bag of tricks - merino wool layers under the heated vest, MT050 parka, Stand Hunter bibs, Saskatchewan boots with heat packs under the toes, handwarmer muff with heat packs (hey, what says warm better than "muff"?), neck gaiter, facemask and beanie all under the parka hood. I sat 4 hours till dark thirty with no problem. Heck a cold beer back at the cabin even tasted good so I couldn't have been too cold

I'm hoping all of this will serve me well when I'm hunting late muzzleloader in your great state of Iowa come January...

Thanks for the input. You answered a lot of my questions. I assume (yeah, I know) the Gerbing and Cabellas vests are the same.

If I recall correctly, and who knows if I do as it has been 30+ years ago, but Houghton County is on a peninsula off the UP that sticks out into Lake Superior? Spent one fall up there from late August till just after Thanksgiving. Beautiful area. I have always sworn that I'll be back. Perhaps someday I will. Houghton/Hancock. I think there is a college there that has a hockey team that has won the NCAA Division (X) title several times. Copper Harbor....ahhhhh, the memories.

Yoophunter. Where do hunt up there. I spent 5 quality years on canal rd getting my degree and hunted near Tiovola and Ontanogon a lot. Definitely had some cold days.

SEIowaDeerslayer said:
I think Im going to drop some coin on the HBS. Wish they still made them in predator camo.

Had my hbs for two years. Used it for the first time this last weekend. It's awesome! Can't believe I didn't try it sooner.

...If I recall correctly, and who knows if I do as it has been 30+ years ago, but Houghton County is on a peninsula off the UP that sticks out into Lake Superior? Spent one fall up there from late August till just after Thanksgiving. Beautiful area. I have always sworn that I'll be back. Perhaps someday I will. Houghton/Hancock. I think there is a college there that has a hockey team that has won the NCAA Division (X) title several times. Copper Harbor....ahhhhh, the memories.

Yep, the Keweenaw Peninsula juts out into Lake Superior and gets bombarded by lake effect snowfall whenever we get a blow out of the NW which is pretty often from November on - over 200" average per season!

I'm used to hunting in those conditions so hopefully that'll allow me to put in my time and survive NE Iowa in January

Michigan Tech (MTU) is the school you're thinking of, I believe

Yoophunter. Where do hunt up there. I spent 5 quality years on canal rd getting my degree and hunted near Tiovola and Ontanogon a lot. Definitely had some cold days.

Actually not too far from Toivola up in the high country. You're an engineer perhaps?

hEATER BODY SUIT, once you get one you will wonder why you haven't had it before. Buck Hollow Sports in Pella has the best price I have seen.

If I've said it once I've said it 3 dozen times on this site, since I bought my gray wolf woolens my ability to sit longer has increased exponentially. Down to 15-20 degrees I can hunt all day with only 1 or 2 layers of under Armour cold gear on. This season had really tested my resolve with chillier temps and the Dang WIND!! I am about ready to toss the under armour and get wool base layers. Adding a heater body suit or warm bag is the next step. I also was able to stay warmer longer when I was fat, I get colder faster now that I'm in the 180 range.

I have worn Kings wool for years now and I have to agree with Muddy, wool is hard to beat! I know it costs but I spend half of the year in them between bow season, shedding and early bow turkey.

Top Bottom