Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stealth Cam question...

DLO

Hi guys... I was given a low-end Stealth Cam for x-mas. It's the MC2-G (35mm).
I have read a lot of posts on the battery hungry stealth cams and expected to be changing batteries pretty often. Initially, I checked the cam everyday, thinking the highs in the single digits and lows below zero would tap the AA's quickly....The cam was powered for 8 days in those temps and I never did get a low bat light. I had 20 pics on the cam when I took it down, got the pics developed and reloaded with film and new batteries. The second and third rolls of film were all taken with the same set of batteries and i never did get a low bat light....the temps around here have been below freezing the entire time the camera was in the timber. The last set of batteries I refered to has lasted 2.5 weeks, 42 pics taken and still no low bat light.
confused.gif

Did I get lucky? I certainly can't complain about it! Is this unusual?

No, I had the same thing with mine. It wasn't a battery hog at all. The only problem that I have to complain about with my stealth cam is that some of the pictures I get with it only have about half of the deer in the camera, so to solve the problem I took duct-tape and covered about an inch of the sensor on each side. Now I get great pictures every time, and I'm very happy with it.

-sureshot1

Not sure what to tell you??? I'd say that is pretty good battery life for one of the Stealth cams. Most of the guys I know that have had them sure wanted to upgrade quickly due to poor battery life.

For comparision the first 35 mm cams I built used two AA'2 for the camera and a nine volt for the sensor. I would put new batteries in around september and they would last the rest of the season. So by comparison, there battery hogs.
The main thing is as long as you can use rechargeables and they last at least two weeks it dosent matter.

WOW! Well after hearing that news I guess they are battery hogs! How much do your cameras cost anyways?

im not making 35mm cams anymore just digital However, i do have a couple used systems im gonna have for sale soon.

Well you should PM me if they come up for sale with all of the information! I'm very interested in a digital trail camera. It'll save me some money on getting the film developed all of the time. Thanks,

-sureshot1

Just for comparison, my leaf river digital has been out since november and taken several hundred pics, many at night. The 4 D cells that power the camera still show full strength, even through the below zero weather. I replaced the 3 C cells that power the sensor about a month ago, but they still showed 1/2 strength then. Its still in the timber now.

I would like to have another cam and those Vcam sony's sound nice.

Sureshot, the cameras i was talking about are 35mm cams.

The sony digitals i build are not as good on batteries compared to my 35mm units. The 9volt sensor battery will last a year, but the 2AA camera batteries need to be swapped out everytime you go change a card. This is by design. I could supply a better power source, but then you need a bigger case. My goal is to make the camera system as small and light as possible. The way I look at it is this, most people will check their cams about every two weeks in the summer, and every week in the winter. This is what i have been doing and I find the memory card is full long before the batteries are dead.

There are steps that can be taken to use C cells instead of AA's. This hasent been a standard feature for me though because the AA's are so much easier to find the recharagble C's are.

Id like to hear from some of the people who have a sony camera from me as to their openion.

Top Bottom