Storing your bow

NWBuck

PMA Member
Hey all,

With the official end of the bow season I wondered what everyone does to store your bow. Here's why...

All year my bow hangs in my enclosed back porch, which could be compared to a "3 season room". It protects the bow from moisture, sunlight and wind, but is not heated or air conditioned. Last August I had a limb on a 5 year old Bear bow blow out on me while doing some preseason shooting. I had been shooting most of the year, but of course, it chose a month before bow opener to give me problems. Bear did offer to give me a discount on a new bow, but I ultimately ended up going with a different brand. Anyway, the Bear tech on the phone indicated that storing a bow in extreme cold or heat could lead to a splitting limb like I experienced. What do you guys do?? Should I bring my new bow in to heated storage for the next 3 months or so? The Bear tech also indicated that storing the bow in extreme heat could compromise limb integrity as well. Maybe the thing should be stored in the house all year. What does everyone else out there do? Thanks in advance for the input.

NWBuck

Storing your bow? Maybe a day or two but winter archery league has already started, we're going rabbit hunting next weekend, and there's always a few winter 3D shoots.
grin.gif

Besides turkey season is only three months away....

I only shoot one bow for deer. I have a matched bow that I shoot for other critters. After deer season I coat the string with a good wax. Then I take a majority of weight off of the limbs. I never hang my bow from the idler wheel or cam. I find an out of the way place and lay the bow on the riser. I always keep my bow indoors during the off season. I have never had a problem with this method. The string lasts until the next fall, then I replace it a month prior to deer season.

Back