Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Storm before the storm....

Needless to so we caught many eyes before dark last night, but there was that fuzzy thing in the air that told us to upsize the cranks and run the trenches for the Camo cats... and we did well.. but lost a few aslo.... we left the river at Midnight after beaching the boat when it got really bad.... scary chit last night but it was worth it!!... oh ya the drum was one of my biggest to hit a crank!

Gray05-08022-1.jpg

Gray05-08021-1.jpg

Gray05-08018-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yuck!. They get let go. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Those are great cats! That drum is nice too, just not as tasty.

Dang if our flathead river would ever get into its banks ill be posting some flathead pics.

Those Flatheads are 10 times better than channel cat. I dont keep them but i have ate flathead nuggets and they are KILLER. Believe it or not, If you catch drum in cold water "march-april", they are very good to eat also. They taste like crappie. Once the water warms up they arent worth a dang. I know commercial fisherman who would rather eat cold water drum than they would crappie.

You said you caught those flatties on cranks?

#7's, thats what we pull fort the cats.. they never seem to hit 5's for some reason.... All the cats that night came from one style and one color... p.m. me and I'll give ya the details... dude im not cut'n up a flathead, thats like taking a knife to a muskie or a smallmouth /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I love seeing big kittys. Great fish. What river are you fishing if you don't mind me asking. I'm waiting for the river in my area to go down so I can hook into a couple of big boys like that. The way things are going, I may be waiting all summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> dude im not cut'n up a flathead, thats like taking a knife to a muskie or a smallmouth </div></div>

WORD!!!, catch/photo/release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... dude im not cut'n up a flathead, thats like taking a knife to a muskie or a smallmouth /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

true! glad to hear it

nice work T! looks like a blast!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> dude im not cut'n up a flathead, thats like taking a knife to a muskie or a smallmouth </div></div>

WORD!!!, catch/photo/release. </div></div>

Here's my step by step...... Catch, photo, skin, chunk, batter, fry, open tater-salad, sip beer, enjoy......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I like to keep small fish if I plan on eating them. They have had less time to pick up chlordane, PCBs and mercury. Fish that eat fish usually have higher levels of contaminants since they acquire the toxins the fish they eat have in them. Also, "oily" fish like catfish retain more toxins.

Now I'm sure that the levels of most toxins in Iowa fish is fairly low, but still, if I can choose the fish to eat, it ain't gonna be a big old catfish. I'd rather eat a couple of two pound channel cats or, even better, a stringer full of bluegill. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'll leave the bigguns as breeders.

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/eh/common/pdf/env/fish_health_issues.pdf

Top Bottom