Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Summer Coats?

MadisonB&C

This has been nawing away at my brain for weeks. There's not much up there to actually naw at, so I haven't even noticed until now.
grin.gif

Here's the question:
I was up in a tree watching a group of does pick there way across a cornfield. One of them really stuck out. She was in her summer coat! I watched them for about 20 minutes, saw them in the sun and the shade, so I'm positive. This deer had the same red color that makes them so easy to see in the middle of the year. So is it her summer coat so early, or is it just an odd pigmentation? Has anyone else seen this so early in the year?

...how big was the doe?...my boss saw a fawn that still had spots just 2 weeks ago!...someone else saw it again last week...most of its spots were gone but the red summer coat still making it stand out from the rest of the herd...perhaps your deer was too young to succesfully grow its winter coat in time...

Definitely not a fawn. She was a big doe, I woulda been proud to take her. She was in a group with two other mature does and three or four fawns.

I've seen a few does that are reddish colored as well. They were mature does too. I think it's like you said, pigmentation. These gals were definatley in winter coats.

Top Bottom