Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Summer soil builders

whitetailnut

Hey there guys, long time reader of site here just purchased my own ground for first time, so I'll be posting some q's now? I've gathered that buckwheat and red clover are great summer soil builders to till under and plant with a fall hunting blend. What are some other inexpensive crops either to frost seed, or seed in spring in a fall hunting plot just to give the deer summer food and lead the way to say a great brassica plot in fall?? Thanks for the help, this site is amazing!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your new hunting property! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

You should find other ideas in the thread on Cereal Grains and Cover Crops but red clover seeded with rye and oats in the fall can then make a great plowdown the following summer.

Hairy Vetch is another great legume that produces plenty of nitrogen.

Berseem clover is an annual legume that can be planted in the spring for nitrogen and green manure plowdown.

There are also plowdown alfalfas but generally something like that one would want there for nearly two years to get full benefit.

Just remember to try and include legumes whenever you can to save on the high costs of commercial nitrogen (urea)and building soil humous will help conserve moisture and in turn cause less stress on growing plants.

Remember to plan plot rotations so that you eventually plowdown a worn out clover plot and follow it with brassicas for instance.

Keep your soil working for you and wildlife and you'll both be happy! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom