Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Supply and Demand-Turkeys2

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
When I think of Supply and Demand as applied to Turkeys, I wonder how much food a large number of turkeys take in and what effect it has on the whitetail?

Maybe a good question for ravin.

...I am not sure any such research has been done that addresses the effects of inter-species competition between deer and turkeys in regards to diet...deer and turkeys may eat some of the same food items but they do have different feeding habits...not to mention that few animals that learn to eat corn or beans, such as turkey and deer have, ever starve in Iowa...also, if you look at the last 20 years both the turkey population and the deer population in Iowa have increased...in some areas both have increased dramatically...

It came to mind Friday when I was checking out a new piece of ground. There were so many Turkey tracks and scratchings in the field that I couldn't see if the deer were using it. Same with the timber.

I guess it would only pertain to the next couple of months. Survival of the fittest I suppose.

Top Bottom