Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switch grass seeding?

Daver

PMA Member
I have about 3/4 acre in CRP/brome that was mowed late last summer, then hit with Roundup twice and ended up with a pretty good kill on it. The ground is not totally bare though, there is some residual dead brome present.

Given that description, would it would be advisable to frost seed CIR switch in that area this weekend or would I be wasting my expensive switch seed?

I am trying to decide what to do, I want to get some switch started in this area to induce more bedding in this area. I was thinking that the rain/snow mix forecast for early next week combined with the freeze/thaw cycle every day/night would lead to a good planting, but would like some other opinions too.

Thanks, Daver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking that the rain/snow mix forecast for early next week combined with the freeze/thaw cycle every day/night would lead to a good planting, but would like some other opinions too.
</div></div>

Go for it...plenty of time for "wet chill", freezing and thawing to do the trick. If there is a lot of thatch, run the 4 wheeler over the seed to help press it into the soil. Cultipacker would do the trick but ATV's work well in the absence of a packer.

I suspect you won't have a problem enlisting a "volunteer" to run the 4 wheeler Dave... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suspect you won't have a problem enlisting a "volunteer" to run the 4 wheeler Dave... </div></div>

You can bet on that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Incidentally, I inquired about buying switchgrass seed at an elevator I won't name here last week and they advised NOT to plant it this time of year. "It HAS to be planted after the threat of frost..." Had I not read all of the good information here, much of it via Dbltree, I would have been duped! But they didn't stop there... they also told me it is too early to plant clover, but they did allow that some guys "get away with it" this early. Yikes!

Thanks to all for their ongoing, good advice, it is appreciated!

So I just skipped the subject there and ordered the seed from Welter

Frost Seeding is the best way to seed Switchgrass.Its Best to seed Before snow hits.If weeds start blocking out the sun light mow it to let the sun light in. I recommend 6-10pls lbs per acre
i sell Cave in Rock for $11.00 pls lb

Osenbaughs Prairie Seed Farms
We now carry a full line of Whitetail Institute Food Plots
Here are a few.
Imperial Clover
Imperial No-Plow
Imperial Alfa-Rack Plus Chicory
Chicory Plus Clover Blend
30-06 Plus Protein Mineral/Vitamin
Just to name a few
We also carry a full line of Native Grasses, Wildflowers and
Cave in Rock Switchgrass for Deer Cover
Contact Nathan Pace
[email protected]
1-800-582-2788

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Osenbaugh's</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recommend 6-10pls lbs per acre

</div></div>

Good grief that is expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Osenbaugh's</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recommend 6-10pls lbs per acre

</div></div>

</div></div>

Do it right, do it once and prairie goes on and on. Just a shock on the front end.

I also have a question regarding switch grass seeding. I plan on seeding about 8-10 acres as soon as I can. I live in far northwest corner of the state and we still have a decent amount of snow on the ground.The ground is fairly hilly with brome that was pastured last year. Right now it is a muddy mess during the day while it thaws but it stiffens up at night. I'm wondering if it would be possible to go out early in the morning and drill it in while the ground is a little stiff in the morning. When the temps drop to right around that freezing mark, the ground gets almost spongy and I'm not sure if the drill will work properly or if I just need to sit and wait til it all dries up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Osenbaugh's</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recommend 6-10pls lbs per acre

</div></div>

</div></div>

Do it right, do it once and prairie goes on and on. Just a shock on the front end. </div></div>

Not sure what you mean Pharmer, but I sell the same, just alot cheaper.

nanny- I just meant that there is a price shock compared to seeding clovers and beans when you get into natives. Native is nice because you have to do it once for seed and then just maintain it. So what should CIR sell for? I thought that was in the normal range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Frost Seeding is the best way to seed Switchgrass.Its Best to seed Before snow hits.If weeds start blocking out the sun light mow it to let the sun light in. I recommend 6-10pls lbs per acre
</div></div>

Thanks for adding some input, most of what I have learned about seeding prairie grass came from John Osenbaugh. There are way to many people like the ones Dave talked to that have no clue how or when to plant prairie grasses.

Osenbaugh's have quality seed but so do others, just check the PLS % and the origin of the seed. Seed grown in other areas may not be a compatiable "eco type" and pure live seed can vary widely. If half the seed won't germinate...what are you paying for?

Make sure you compare apples to apples...

was it grown in Iowa?

is it Cave In Rock? (or Blackwell or whatever...but don't price one variety against the other)

Pure Live Seed...some seed purchased recently varied from 95% PLS to 46%...that's a huge difference!

Competiton from various seed suppliers helps keep prices somewhat in check, so check around but know what questions to ask. All seed is not created equal... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hillrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have a question regarding switch grass seeding. I plan on seeding about 8-10 acres as soon as I can. I live in far northwest corner of the state and we still have a decent amount of snow on the ground.The ground is fairly hilly with brome that was pastured last year. Right now it is a muddy mess during the day while it thaws but it stiffens up at night. I'm wondering if it would be possible to go out early in the morning and drill it in while the ground is a little stiff in the morning. When the temps drop to right around that freezing mark, the ground gets almost spongy and I'm not sure if the drill will work properly or if I just need to sit and wait til it all dries up. </div></div>

I always try to seed in the early morning even when broadcasting by hand. The other day I did some in the evening but it was high well drained ground. If it's stiff enough to walk/drive on early in the morning then by all means get it drilled. You only need to make soil/seed contact...not "bury" the switchgrass seed.

At the same time if your going to "rut" it up by breaking thru the frozen crust and mudding around in it, then stay out of there!! Compacting the soil with equipment when it's too wet can cause some real damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nanny- I just meant that there is a price shock compared to seeding clovers and beans when you get into natives. Native is nice because you have to do it once for seed and then just maintain it. So what should CIR sell for? I thought that was in the normal range? </div></div>

I just got a pallet of CIR in and the germ is 92%, my recomended rate on that is 5-7 lbs per acre and the price is 8.50 a lb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I always try to seed in the early morning even when broadcasting by hand. The other day I did some in the evening but it was high well drained ground. If it's stiff enough to walk/drive on early in the morning then by all means get it drilled. You only need to make soil/seed contact...not "bury" the switchgrass seed.

At the same time if your going to "rut" it up by breaking thru the frozen crust and mudding around in it, then stay out of there!! Compacting the soil with equipment when it's too wet can cause some real damage.</div></div>

thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know!

How do you compare lbs vs pls lbs? Are we comparing apples to apples when quoting this differently? How does the germination rate play into that number?

How mine is priced, is by the actual lb, no matter what the germ is. So lets say that right now I have CIR for 8.50 a lb with a 92% germ, its a pretty good deal. But if I would have gotten 75% germ, it's still 8.50 a lb, but you would have to up your seeding rate and its not as good of a deal.

Here is the Formula For figuring PLS
The Purity % Multiplied By the Germ % Divided by 100 is equal to the %of Pure Live Seed (PLS) in a lot of bulk seed. To determine how much bulk seed is needed to equal 1pls lb 1 is then dividedby the Pls%

Osenbaughs Prairie Seed Farms
Nathan Pace-Sales Consultant
[email protected]
1-800-582-2788

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Osenbaugh's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the Formula For figuring PLS
The Purity % Multiplied By the Germ % Divided by 100 is equal to the %of Pure Live Seed (PLS) in a lot of bulk seed. To determine how much bulk seed is needed to equal 1pls lb 1 is then dividedby the Pls% </div></div>

Dang it, why is there math in everything? Lesee, ought guzinta ought, ought...

Thanks for the explanation.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom