Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TAKE MORE DOES!!!

DLO

Hey guys.... I'm assuming I don't stand alone when I say, conservation is one of the foremost ideals held by we as ethical hunters. I figure since the IDNR spends considerable resources on the observation of Iowa's deer herd, they should know what they are talking about when they plead with us to harvest 25% more does during the 2003 season.

I am, first and foremost, an archer. I have been toying with the idea for the last few years to give up gun hunting all togather. I think that after this past shotgun season, I will do just that.

My hunting party (6 guns in all ) had agreed to take only does or bucks that would earn a place on the wall.... that's it. It turned out, only 1 1/2 year old bucks were taken ( 6 of them )... not a single doe. I might add also, that does were as plentiful in number as the bucks we were seeing. Frustrated by the performance of the rest of my hunting party, I started to ask around. I came to find out, most of the groups I talked to disregarded the DNR's request to increase doe harvest. That apathy existed in central Iowa where I shotgun hunt and here in western Iowa where I am a property owner.

I don't mean to preach but we all have to get our head out of our @$$ and do what we have to do to make sure we are doing what is best for the herd. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind a buck ban for a year or so.( which is what I think the DNR is gearing up for ). Good Hunting.

I have heard the same grapevine talk about serious changes under consideration for next year. Many of the ideas have already been expressed here- doe only, earn a buck, high $ buck only tags, etc.

Welcome Dave!

I tend to agree with you. I personally would love to see my home state shut down buck season for a year or so. I just don't think there is enough incentive to get the majority to put in the time on the does. I think you should not be able to get a buck tag at all unless you filled the previous seasons qouta for does.

It's everyones heard, everyone should have to contribute equally!
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom