Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

take this for what it worth

moosehunter

PMA Member
I was pretty dissapointed with the number of response's I got back from both DNR committee's. I got back three. I didn't expect them all to reply but only three! Anyway, one was from Dennis Black, he chairs the committee. His reply stated "he will not let such a bill out of committee".

Just thought I'd pass that on...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SF118? Which bill?

Thanks Mooseypoo

The 'Bonker </div></div>

118.........sorry Bonkeypooooo

i also heard 118 will never make it out of committee..whats the new batch of stupid...2052?

Can someone please explain to me and I am sure some of the other members how this process all works?

I guess the reason I am saying this is because I was under the impression to contact our legislators on these issues.
Are we supposed to contact the committee members first.

I am sure others are also confused but maybe it is just me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any responses

Contacting both is a good idea. If the bill is in a committee, contact those members first. There will be times when you get info from committee that will save you a call to your legislator. It's easier to stop the proposed legislation there than if it makes it out. I've had the same results as moosehunter mentioned, some of the members will not return messages. You will have better luck with the legislators from your own district in that regard. If your legislator is on the natural resource committe, even better. If you're not getting feedback like you'd like, contact your legislator and ask him to look into the committee issue for you. They will get back to you and let ya know what's up.

You can ask your legislator to keep you informed on the progess of certain bills. If you are an IBA member, they will email you to let you know what's there. There is also a bill tracking feature on the Iowa Legislature site.

It's best to have an IBA membership. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can ask your legislator to keep you informed on the progess of certain bills. If you are an IBA member, they will email you to let you know what's there. There is also a bill tracking feature on the Iowa Legislature site.

It's best to have an IBA membership. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Have it my friend. Joined last week. I did not want to be a hypocrite and let you guys do all the great work supporting my passion and not help support it.

I have seen the bill tracking site. Just don't see where it goes any farther. Maybe I need to look a little deeper.

How many members does the IBA have in the state of Iowa?

Legislator files an idea, then someone will turn that idea into a bill.

Every bill gets a number and is assigned to a committee.

Chairman gets the list, he will call a resource committee meeting when there is enough legislation to warrent a meeting.At the meeting interested parties may attend and sometimes they will be asked questions by comm chair.Then they take a vote, to either bring out of committee or just let it lay there.It's not dead just dormant.If it passes the committee vote it will be put on the agenda of house or senate.Any bill not out of committee by first week of March is pigeoned holed and dead for session.

If house & senate have similar legislation they have a joint committee meeting to hammer out a single piece.

Not every comm. member will answer emails, so that is why it's very important for those people whos rep or senator is on the comm to make calls and send emails.At the same time everyone should be writng their reps, they all talk back and forth.If a non committee member is hearing from their constituents you can bet the comm will hear about it.

People want and need information. Every year there will be legislation brought up that will set the tone for the whole year.If you can stop these keys bills a lot of this stuff will naturally go away. Just wish I was better at picking out those key pieces of legislation.

Very seldom does a bill just fly though.It is a drawn out process that just has to run its course.

Thanks to all that get involved, try to recruit a couple friends, start your own email lists when you get an update pass it on to them. Some people have had issues with the IBA or me or just don't want to be bothered by either.If that's the case find another group that is involved and get on their list.

As hunters( deer,duck,pheasant, trappers) don't matter what you hunt, you need to be involved.If we continue to be passive about our sport we will get steam rolled by special interest groups. Once it's gone it not coming back.

I hate doing this but it's a necessary evil, to maintain what we all love to do.All any of us want to do is hunt, but to do that we all have to put in some time in the off season to protect our hunting heritage. There is no shortage of people trying to get rid of us.We are all passionate about what we do, we just need to do a better job of conveying that to other people(non hunters,legislators, anyone who will listen.)

Sorry to ramble.

Top Bottom