Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taurus Raging Bull 480

buckinrut

Life Member
I have carried a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag during shotgun season, however for me to hit a deer with this gun it would have to be pretty close. So I bought a Taurus Raging bull 480 hoping to get a little more range. I was reading my DNR hunting regulation book last night and see that this handgun is not listed as an acceptable handgun for hunting deer. I realize this is a newer caliber handgun and this maybe the reason for it not being listed. My question is can I leagally carry this gun during shotgun season or should I stay with the 44 mag until the 480 is listed as acceptable.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

My father bought a Ruger 480 this past summer and ran into the same situation. We asked our local game warden and he talked to the DNR boys in DSM...and it is perfectly legal, the DNR is just slow in updating their lists of legal cartridges. The 480 is an awesome cartridge, and I can't wait til I get to shoot a deer with it.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

I think you may have made a bad decision if you bought the .480 for more range, on whitetails. The .44 has more than enough energy on Whitetails at ranges most of us are proficient at. The effective range of accuracy will be essentially the same for the 480 as it was for the 44. Except in my opinion the Ruger is a better built piece, and with the lower recoil, may actually be more accurate at longer distances. The 480 is really intended for the guy going after heavier game such as elk, moose, or bear, or a backup in dangerous situations. If you are looking for more range in the shotgun season, I would look to a quality slug gun, with rifled barrel, and a scope. Then look at the new generation slugs, such as the Hornady H2K. I have been playing with them and an H&R fitted with a 4-power scope and I am shooting 5 shot groups in the 4" range at 100 yards. The bullet has way enough punch out to 150, but you better be breathing easy and have a rest. Any of the new generation slugs use a plastic sabot, and if you are hunting in extreme cold, 0 F or less, you may want to take some effort to keep it warm. If you are in and out of a pickup it will probably be all right. If you are on stand, you may want to keep it in your shirt pocket until you see him coming, or change the ammo in your gun with ones from your shirt pocket every ½ hour.

Top Bottom