Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy recommendation???

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I shot a real nice 8pt yesterday..... roughly should score around 130-140..... got a lot to do this morning so will try to send story and post picture later...... I am new to the Cedar Rapids area (less than 1 year)....... I need recommendations for quality taxidermist. I would prefer someone who doesn't take a year to do it and is fairly reasonable..... any insight on good taxidermists in area is greatly appreciated!!!!!!! (more later)

Darrin Brinks (Brinks Taxidermy) in Washburn Iowa will do a top notch job, he is not the cheapest, but do yourself a favor and spend the extra, you will be much more happy in the long run if you do. The old adage of you get what you pay for is never more true than with taxidermy work.

Best of luck to ya, and congrats!!

Congrats on the buck!!
beerchug.gif

Cedar Rapids has several very good taxidermists to choose from. Limb Chicken is right Joe is very good. Several other choices would be Gary Bowen (363-0063) and Jim Kindig (All Seasons Wildlife Art, Marion).

All three of these guys have done mounts for one friend or another over the years. I don't think you would go wrong by choosing any one of them. Several friends have already left deer at Jim Kindig’s this year.

CornFed, I would recommend Rick Whitaker in Knoxville. He has a website www.whitakerswildlife.com. Check it out. He has done numerous mounts for me and my friends, he does excellent work and probably would have it done sometime in January if you got it in now. At the last Iowa Taxidermy Competition he had the highest scoreing mount at the show. At the whitetail classic you can always pick out his mounts, because the quality is just that much better. Congratulations on your buck.

Thanks guys for all the good advise! I think I am going to go with Joe Meder at Solon..... his quality appears excellent and his price is competive $460 shoulder mount..... said I would have the buck by early spring. Others want same price and will take 8 months or more. I will try to post picture and hunt story in next day or two..... wife has been wanting a scanner for several months now, good excuse to get one
grin.gif

Hey as for a good taxidermist I take all of my stuff to Greg Cuvelier in Aplington, IA he has one many awards and am never dissapointed with the work that he does. You do pay for good work and he charges $325 for a deer and the wait will be about 10 monthes. My recomendation is not to go cheap on something that will be on your wall for many years to come. Congratulations!!

Cornfed,

Do yourself and your deer a favor and don't go cheap. Nothing looks worse than a poor quality deer mount on the wall, I know, I have one. Trust me, he's not getting any less ugly as I add new, high quality mounts to my den. If you are going to go cheap, just cut off the horns and put them on a plaque, or do a European skull mount, either would look far better than a bad mount. Spend the extra money now and get an heirloom quality mount that looks lifelike and will last. You will never regret it. If he is worth mounting, he is worth mounting right.

I'm from Missouri, so I don't know much about Iowa taxidermists, but I do know that you won't find one any better than Joe Meder. There may be others as good, but none better. Just my $.02.

Congrats on your buck.

rhino

Cornfed,

Do yourself and your deer a favor and don't go cheap. Nothing looks worse than a poor quality deer mount on the wall, I know, I have one. Trust me, he's not getting any less ugly as I add new, high quality mounts to my den. If you are going to go cheap, just cut off the horns and put them on a plaque, or do a European skull mount, either would look far better than a bad mount. Spend the extra money now and get an heirloom quality mount that looks lifelike and will last. You will never regret it. If he is worth mounting, he is worth mounting right.

I'm from Missouri, so I don't know much about Iowa taxidermists, but I do know that you won't find one any better than Joe Meder. There may be others as good, but none better. Just my $.02.

Congrats on your buck.

rhino

I would have to say Tims Taxidermy out of Lake Mills, IA. He did Doug Farrells (sp?) deer last year, and maybe there is a pic on the website of it. It was the largest non-typical gun kill last year, and looked really good at the deer classic.

Just to give you even more options, I use Rick Adams who used to be out of Easter lake in Des Moines. I know he moved but not far. He's cheap and he takes note of detail when mounting whitetail. I can send you a picture of a mount he did if you want.

BT

I just dropped my head of at Joe Meder's place in Solon this afternoon..... took the whole deer and he caped it out for me..... he said that my buck made his 43rd this season so far..... he estimated my field dressed weight at 230lbs. or better..... he said that he had not seen a bigger bodied deer yet this year.

I was very pleased with my time with Joe and was impressed with his work..... I am sure that I will be satisfied. Sounds like there are a number of good taxidermists in Iowa..... THANKS guys for all the insights......

marlin hoch does excellant work ,he is from melcher iowa not cheap but does alot of the top whitetails in iowa

Cornfed,
Glad you had a good experience there. I am guessing you spent no less than an hour and a half there. He has done all of my heads and did a royal elk for my dad in 1976 and it still looks great.

Did you see the 240 inch that he has there? I don't know if I could have held it together if I had that one come in... anyway congrats again on your deer!
grin.gif

Bruce Krause from Salem Ia, (319)258-9579 has done my last 4 and I have a big 8 pointer there now and Bruce dose a geate job better than most I have seen for about $260.

One more vote for Darin Brincks out of Washburn, Iowa. Washburn is up by Waterloo. I am very happy with his work and so are a lot of my friends.

Jim Kindig is one of the best in Iowa, hell one of the best in the country..but you will pay $450.00 or better and you will wait around a year, once you get your mount back you will be more than impressed. He is by appointment only, give him a call 319-377-8352. Personally Jim is the only one that will ever get my mounts, I will wait for perfection.

rockband.gif

I could get you a list of names a mile long that would recomend Tim Kleinmeyer of Iowa City. He has done half a dozen mounts for me including a bear and does and excellent job.

Top Bottom