Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The best turkey advice given to you.

N

NateW

Okay, I know we're all good at GIVING advice, but what is the best turkey hunting advice you have RECEIVED? Here's mine, and it's two simple words.

SHUT UP

As it was explained to me, one of the most effective ways of taking a wise Tom is to get him interested and then Shut up. Make him hunt you. That advice has caused the lights to go out on a lot of gobblers for me. Let's read yours!

I'll add to shut up with SET TIGHT. A comfortable seat is a must. Oh and by the way falling asleep is a sure way to get any call shy gobbler into range.
Bruce Wohlers

just like deer hunting scouting to know where those birds like to roam and eat are pretty important. I like to know where they roost and be waiting for them when they come down off there and try and beat them pesky old hens from getting to the big boys first.

later

WOW! What a great addition to an already outstanding site. Come May and June we'll look for the update on where the walleyes are biting!

Anwyay, here's my addition to the "best advice I've received" category. Mid to late season, leave the calls at home and take just one thing...a FAKE WING! Probably could use an old glove taped to a broom handle if you wanted to. A cousin of mine called in four big toms last year by just imitating a fly down and no calling. His daughter took her first bird by picking out the biggest of the bunch. Later in the season, I lit up an entire hillside using the same technique, and up until that time the area had been completely silent. It might not work again, but it sure seemed to be the thing to do last year.

Also, if this @#$% snow doesn't quit soon, our best camo for turkey season will be our WHITES! Tony - it was great meeting you at the classic...and thanks for my new "favorite hat". Wish I could've been there on Saturday when all the others were there. Oh well, there's always next year. Good hunting everyone.

I agree with all of the above! Anthony and I sat in a bowl in the hills last Spring and hardly ever got a call out. We had over dozen different Toms strut with in range. The trick...The Strut Zone, found one and every year we get the same action, it's Great!

1tom.jpg

A Nice Tom works his way to the "Zone",photo by me.

PS, enjoyed meeting everyone in Des Moines too!

This is very simple guys and gals. The best advice is to use the age old formula of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). We just got to remember that they are just turkeys. Also, this is a great forum and topic.

I would have to say some the best advice I have been given about turkey hunting is always be sure of your target and call'em as close as you can. Nothing better than a big ol' tom about twentyfive yards out gobblin his head off.
Micah

The best advice I ever got was to stay put for a half hour! I can tell you all first hand what will happen if you move too soon because of bordom or "another place looks better" I have walked into several tom's and flocks that were on their way to me..not anymore....If I would have just sat.....

Right on rescuebill. When you think its time to move wait another 15-20 minutes. A lot can happen in that time. I learned that lesson the hard way last spring- my first year turkey hunting. I did fill two tags though.
laugh.gif

SET UP! Why try to call 'em in if you put yourself between where they are roosted, and where they want to go when they fly down? If ya can't tell, I'm kind of an ambush first, call later type of guy.

Sit for atleast an hour. If he stops gobbling more than likely he's a coming just yelp softly every now and then he will show up. Last year I learned that alot of the birds on our place will come in quiet!

Set up where the turkeys naturally want to go.
If you think you should get up and move...wait at least 30 minutes...those big gobblers can sneek in on you pretty easily.

Top Bottom