Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Future of Iowa Hunting - Rumors Flying

They didn't do away with the NR archery doe tags.They just changed it so you had to have an any-sex tag to get an antlerless tag.That is what they should do with gun season too.
Not everyone is a law-abiding,upstanding hunter like Hardwood.
There was a lot of people where I hunt at(3 miles from the Missouri line) that would have a Missouri any-sex tag and an Iowa antlerless tag in the wallet and be hunting the Iowa side of the line.If they shot a buck it was easy to wait till after dark and drag it out with the Missouri tag on it.
I stand by my thinking that 99% of the NRs that come to Iowa with a doe tag are expecting to shoot a buck.

I stand by my thinking that 99% of the NRs that come to Iowa with a doe tag are expecting to shoot a buck.

Maybe I am an optimist but 99% seems rather high........So lets say that all 6000 NR antlerless tags were sold this year....you are saying that 5940 of those hunters plan on breaking the law by tagging a Buck instead? If this is what you really think then I can understand why you hate NR hunters so much. You should be really pissed at the DNR for not catching hardly any of the many thousands of NR scumbags that are doing this every year....or maybe you should re-evaluate your percentage a little bit.....I will agree that there are a lot of unethical hunters every season, and the majority are not NR by the way......

It's not breaking the law to to come to Iowa with an antlerless tag for the gun season and shoot a buck.It's party hunting and someone in the party has to tag the deer you shot.
And where did you come up with the 6000 NR antlerless tags.Every NR that draws an any-sex tag also has an antlerless tag.That is 6000. Plus there is a lot more that don't draw an any-sex tag the still come to hunt on a doe tag.
No one can convince me that people will come here from Georgia or North Carolina just to shoot a doe.They come here knowing that the party that they are hunting with will have a few any-sex tags and they can take a buck home even though they only bought a doe tag.

Hey...just a thought...some of the biggest ethical issues that we have dealt with have to do with "depredation tags". I know this could be a hot one, but could you please tell me why there are such an incredible amount of depredation tags available in the same counties that have an over-abundance of doe tags. By the way, I am someone who is eligible for depredation tags, but do not see their purpose other than overly-liberal access to private ground ... for those of you who are ethical, this is a non-issue. For those of you who aren't ethical, you understand exactly what I mean by overly-liberal access. If you aren't going to follow the rule, then all you need is a tag because it gives you access and permission. By the way in regards to the DNR in the previous post...in all honesty, what do you think your odds of getting caught are in the current climate of low budgets?

It's not breaking the law to to come to Iowa with an antlerless tag for the gun season and shoot a buck.It's party hunting and someone in the party has to tag the deer you shot.
And where did you come up with the 6000 NR antlerless tags.Every NR that draws an any-sex tag also has an antlerless tag.That is 6000. Plus there is a lot more that don't draw an any-sex tag the still come to hunt on a doe tag.
No one can convince me that people will come here from Georgia or North Carolina just to shoot a doe.They come here knowing that the party that they are hunting with will have a few any-sex tags and they can take a buck home even though they only bought a doe tag.

If you really are worried about the party hunting situation, then why not lobby to change that portion of the law, i.e. Require NR to tag their own deer? That would not bother me one bit. I am not sure it would stop people that are determined, but it would at least make it illegal. The 6000 number was meant to be the Antlerless Only tags that are allowed above and beyond the ones that come with the Any-Sex tags, although now that I look at it the number is really 4500. You also said "No one can convince me that people will come here from Georgia or North Carolina just to shoot a doe." How about Missouri?? That is where I come from "just to shoot a doe."

By the way in regards to the DNR in the previous post...in all honesty, what do you think your odds of getting caught are in the current climate of low budgets?

I have personally been checked both when I was a resident and when I was a NR. That is beside the point though because until the issues that residents seem to upset about (i.e. NR party hunting) become illegal, they have no hope of stopping them. You can't make someone stop doing something that is perfectly legal......

That is exactly what I am doing TH75.New Gov.Brandsted is already tried of my e-mails I would guess.And I have e-mailed congressmen for years.
I really don't mind party hunting if it was "when your tag is filled you can't carry a gun anymore"( I think that is how Missouri is isn't it). And you take home the deer with your tag on it.
They could even raise the allotment to 10,000 any-sex tags if they could eliminate the guys coming here with JUST a doe tag.
On another web-site they talk about how you can hunt Iowa every year if you know the loopholes.I am just trying to get the loopholes closed.

That is exactly what I am doing TH75.New Gov.Brandsted is already tried of my e-mails I would guess.And I have e-mailed congressmen for years.
I really don't mind party hunting if it was "when your tag is filled you can't carry a gun anymore"( I think that is how Missouri is isn't it). And you take home the deer with your tag on it.
They could even raise the allotment to 10,000 any-sex tags if they could eliminate the guys coming here with JUST a doe tag.
On another web-site they talk about how you can hunt Iowa every year if you know the loopholes.I am just trying to get the loopholes closed.

See....we have been in agreement all along:drink2: I totally agree with tagging your own deer, no gun after your tag is used and only taking home your deer. As far as Missouri rules go, I have no idea, I have not deer hunted here in the 10 years I have lived here:(

As a former Iowan for 22 years I can appreciate the quality of the wildlife after living in Maine for a few years. Some brutes are produced though the demographics makes for low success. I did not read all the posts though have a dumb question. Why not allow more nr archery tags to be sold? This would increase revenue to the state as well as business's while still limited the effects of the kill. The success rate is lower with archery. The reality is most hunters are can only afford to come back for a week or two. They are not there for the entire season. It would seem that a big part of the problem comes from the gun seasons. On the flip side this would most likely attract more to archery hunting and still compound the problem of those with money snatching up land even for archery. I don't have the answer though figuring out a way that does not favor deep pockets while still generating revenue would be a good solution.
I suspect that the deep pockets are what is influencing Terry. This is usually what influences any politician.

Our state's problem isn't the killing by NR hunters, it's the amount of our land we are losing to NR owners. Allowing more NR hunters would only open the gates for more ownership by NRs. I have absolutely no issue with NR hunters coming to our state. I welcome it! But the flipside of that is since I was 16 I've lost permission to thousands upon thousands of acres of land due to leasing and NR ownership. This land is now off limits to all but the lessees and owners. I'm still lucky enough to have a couple good places to go but in all reality, it won't last long. I'm 26 now and suspect that if I want to continue to hunt quality farms I'll need to either lease or be an owner within the next 5 to 10 years.

Land is owned by R or NR. For those who don't own land permission must be obtained from the owner regardless of where they reside. I own land in Iowa and grant permission to two R's who hunt the land when I can't. We have a great relationship and they monitor the property because I can't. I think R's who need hunting land would be surprised if they approached a NR landowner. In addition to the land I own I have been offered other farms to hunt by just being a decent guy and establishing relationships with R's. Access for those who don't own land is always a challenge regardless of ownership.

Last edited:
Top Bottom