Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The rutting moon myth

J

jason

I just got the november issue of Field & Stream.
There is a really good article in it, about the rutting moon myth.
The Columnist of the article went hunting with a Georgia deer biologist who works on a deer farm for the University of Georgia. Throughout the article, the biologist talks about deer behavior, and techniques that he's developed by watching deer's habits day in and day out.
The part that really caught my attention was was, were he has never seen any signs of deer responding to a moon phase during breeding season.
The biolgist said, " the moon can influence deer movement in terms of there being more or less light at night. But I've seen no evidence whatsoever to indicate the moon phase triggers the rut."
I don't know what side to take on this. I've read countless articles, in field and stream, american hunter, bowhunter, and Iowa game and fish that talks about moon phases throught out the breeding season.
I was just wondering what you guys and gals think, because I'm sure ever bow hunter, or any one who's hunted the rut has an oppinion on this.
Thanks and good hunting

Jason

BELEIVE WHAT YOU WANT. ILL TAKE THREE DAYS PRIOR TO THIS PAST MOON TILL NEXT WEEKEND EVERY YEAR TO HUNT LOCAL BUCKS..IN THE LAST THREE OUTINGS I HAVE RATTLED UP SEVEN DEER OVER SCRAPES, THE LARGEST LAST SAT AM, HE WAS AROUND 140-145 INCH 10 POINTER... AND THREE TONIGHT IN AN HOUR OF HUNTING... ONE DAY AFTER THE FULL MOON----HMMMMM I THINK THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING HERE.... GOOD LUCK M350 OUT

Take advantage of every chance you get to be in the stand regardless of the moon phase. A bad day hunting is better than a good day anywhere else!
grin.gif

Deer are short-day breeders, like sheep. This helps time the breeding so that the fawns will be born in the spring. This means that as the days get shorter, the deers hormones start to kick in and cause the does to get ready to cycle and also causes testosterone to build in the bucks. I could write about the physiology involved, but I don't think you would care much for it. I don;t understand why the increases light from a full moon could cause the rut to start. I would think that if the light from the moon is indeed strong enough to effect the deer, then it should suppress the rut instead of get it going. Just some thoughts.

I agree with Vet2B. I think rut is triggered by photoperiod, the length of daylight. I don't see where moon phase can have a very great effect on this but I do have friends with the opposite opinion.

On the other hand I think day time, deer movement IS influenced by moon phase. During the dark phase of the moon I see deer movement more concentrated at dawn and dusk. During the full moon I see deer movement more spread out throughout the day.

In spite of the above opinions any time I can go bowhunting from October 20 to November 25 I'm out there!

So get out there and enjoy another Iowa rut!

Old Buck

I think the evidence for photoperiodism is very conclusive. And I don't think you would bore us with anything Vet2B, but you are welcome to try and bring up things that haven't been covered before (good luck). I doubt that the full moon has anything more to do with the rut other than the increased deer activity is seems to cause, and that simply translates into increased breeding activity when the full moon falls during the rut.

i once talked to sam of mrs. doe pee and he told me that his deer always go into rut right around nov. 5 th

Top Bottom