Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

They don't work

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
Don't bother trying to tie plastic bags on your trees. Guess I'll have to hunt closer to the house. This on a white pine.

picture.php

Are you trying to grow them in an area that you want to deer to still come through, or do you just want to get them big enough that they will leave them alone?

Cages are really the only way your are going to keep them off of the trees. To deter them from an area I have seen or used electric fences or hanging scented dryer sheets throughout the planting area. You have to replace them every two weeks or so, but it should keep them out a little more.

This one is in the yard. You can see last years mark. There was two of them but he killed the other one last year. I had the bag up around the old rub. But not sure the tree will make it now.

picture.php

I know of people that hang soap from the trees to keep the deer away... one guy planted 100 trees and not a single one has been touched

I know of people that hang soap from the trees to keep the deer away... one guy planted 100 trees and not a single one has been touched

X2 It's not 100% deer proof but certainly helps a lot. You can buy unwrapped scented hotel/motel size soaps in for pretty cheap on the internet. Drill a little hole in them & use a small cable tie to attach to a low branch. They will need to be replaced yearly for best results, but it beats doing dryer sheets every two weeks. If the tree isn't completely girdled, it may still survive.

X2 It's not 100% deer proof but certainly helps a lot. You can buy unwrapped scented hotel/motel size soaps in for pretty cheap on the internet. Drill a little hole in them & use a small cable tie to attach to a low branch. They will need to be replaced yearly for best results, but it beats doing dryer sheets every two weeks. If the tree isn't completely girdled, it may still survive.

God idea. I never thought of that. I will have to use it.

Irish spring soap. Leave it in the box. Drill a 1/4" hole in the middle of it and loosely zip tie thru the whole and around a branch. I have NEVER had a deer touch a tree that I did that to (all apple trees). Leaving the soap in the box makes it last about 3 years. The cardboard gets wet but doesn't completely fall apart and prevents the soap from disintegrating quickly in the rain.

If you have a local beauty shop/barber...get some hair clippings...apply a ring, like mulch, deer will avoid.

The soap works well, we have a family Christmas tree farm that we plant about 3000 trees on every spring, the times we have used soap it has worked well. The trees without soap get mauled :rolleyes:

The soap and hair works wonders, believe me. I leased a small farm once and the guy who had it before me was not happy about me getting this lease (I had no idea of the owner/previous lease owner dispute) and he still had neighboring property leased. I caught him one day walking my lease whittling a bar of Irish Spring soap and tossing hair clippings from his wife's beauty salon he had in a damn shoulder bag that was freaking huge. We exchanged pleasantries and I showed him the White Crow and the property line. Anyway it was good 3 months before deer came back. They avoided that place like Ray Rice's girlfriend avoids elevators.

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

Top Bottom